A rogue sunflower

kracker

A rogue sunflower

Post by kracker »

At the start of the the summer i had a couple of rogue sunflowers starting off in my yucca jewel ,i then thinned them and kept one going by the time it was at it's best it looked smashing so symetrical and perfect it grew to about 5ft no canes needed and a nice fat trunk ,so the question is i want keep the seeds from this plant will grow the same way next year and how to keep the seeds icon_cheers
Last edited by kracker on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad

Re: A rouge sunflower

Post by Chad »

Rouge or rogue? The first is reddish the latter mischievous.

Anyway, the seeds ripen from the outside in towards the centre. The trick is to let them ripen and then bring them in and dry them off before the birds eat them all. In practice I find when the birds have had the first few seeds they need to be picked and brought in quick! Hang them somewhere dry but not hot until they are brittle dry and then you can extract the seed from the head and store in a paper bag until spring.

Chad.
Conifers

Re: A rouge sunflower

Post by Conifers »

First, you need to make sure the seed is mature before harvesting. Make sure they get another 2 months of 30°C heat :lol:

PS rouge = red icon_tomato . . . methinks you meant rogue :DD
kracker

Re: A rogue sunflower

Post by kracker »

" Rouge or rogue? The first is reddish the latter mischievous." icon_salut edited