Callistemon oddity

stephenprudence

Callistemon oddity

Post by stephenprudence »

In my girlfriend's garden there is a bottlebrush (Callistemon citrinus). We got it from Akamba back in 2011. It's flowered just today for the first time since we got it.. but the real oddity is that when we got it, it had red flowers on it (only one or two), we checked it today and it white flowers on it? Is this possible? Is there any Bottebrush where you can get two different colours on the same plant?
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Re: Callistemon oddity

Post by cheshirepalms »

Sedums can do it, when they have been crossed and revert to their parent characteristics, not sure if it applies to bottlebrush.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Not heard of this before, are the flowers fully open?
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Maybe a grafted plant with sprouts from the rootstock coming up through and taking over?
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

I have not heard of a Callistemon with two different flowers, the only white on in general cultivation is White Anzac which is a Citrinus sport so the possibility is there.
ianmck

Post by ianmck »

Mineral deficiency / differences in soil perhaps? I've seen it happen with astilbe, when planted in a different garden it had a different coloured flower.
stephenprudence

I checked for a graft today but no sign of a graft (unless it was a really neat fit). Im not entirely sure, however it has grown as a normal plant.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Is it single stemmed Stephen?
I haven't got an explanation for you if it is, but if more than one stem is coming from the ground, it could simply be more than one plant you have there.
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

I am intrigued by this Stephen, any chance of a pic?
stephenprudence

Just a single stem Nigel.

I recall vividly that we brought the plant because it had a few red flowers at the time, I knew it was Callistemon citrinus, however after a summer of nonflowers, last week it started opening white flowers, that's when I posted this. it looks like Callistemon Anzac but this doesn't explain the red flowers. Its an odd one, but I'll only be able to measure it next summer
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Does the rest of the plant look a normal healthy green?
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Yes its looking fine Dave.. Its actually growing in completely dry ground, it rarely stays wet for long (its like clay)