Winter plant storage.

fern Rob

Winter plant storage.

Post by fern Rob »

Well, as of today I have desired that tomorrow most of my plants will be put in to winter storage. The weather this week as changed and can not always get out in the garden so to limit the risk of loosing any of my plants I will be getting ready for winter.
First, The shed needs tidying out, so I can store some of the hardier plants in there.
Second, the poly tunnel needs to be increased in size. I intend to insulate the Poly Tunnel with fleece and set up the heater, but that is a job for next week.

Anyone else getting the plants ready for winter? Most plants at the moment are getting damaged by the high winds we are experiencing.
kata

Re: Winter plant storage.

Post by kata »

Not yet Rob,

I need to buy some fleece bags and a roll of fleece for my Fern. The Ensete is being recycled once the frost hits it.

The Basjoo I am hoping to keep.

The Trachis (three) will be fine. Waiting for the Bishop of Landaff to get black by frost, its really nice with flowers at the moment.

:mrgreen:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

kata wrote:Not yet Rob,

I need to buy some fleece bags and a roll of fleece for my Fern. The Ensete is being recycled once the frost hits it.

The Basjoo I am hoping to keep.

The Trachis (three) will be fine. Waiting for the Bishop of Landaff to get black by frost, its really nice with flowers at the moment.

Why are you letting the Ensete die in the winter? : :shock:
kata

Post by kata »

Because Rob,

It should come in but I can't store things from the garden inside in case of flies. I have had a rough six weeks with rats in the attic and I don't want to give them a reason to come into the home as such.

Treating the Ensete as bedding plants.

Basjoo is a little hardier.

icon_cheers
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

kata wrote:Because Rob,

It should come in but I can't store things from the garden inside in case of flies. I have had a rough six weeks with rats in the attic and I don't want to give them a reason to come into the home as such.

Treating the Ensete as bedding plants.

Basjoo is a little hardier.

icon_cheers
I can not see it attracting flies, are you moving the basjoo?
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

I will leave until the end of the month before digging up and storing anything, if you believe the tabloid comics (Express) this winter will be 'the worst for decades' with 'significant snow falls in November ' and 'the whole country may grind to a halt'.!!!!!
Haven't we heard that before? :roll:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Clive60 wrote:I will leave until the end of the month before digging up and storing anything, if you believe the tabloid comics (Express) this winter will be 'the worst for decades' with 'significant snow falls in November ' and 'the whole country may grind to a halt'.!!!!!
Haven't we heard that before? :roll:
I have not got time to take risks with plants as I have not hot time in the garden at the moment.
kata

Post by kata »

No rob,

The Basjoo is planted so a fleece and anything frost friendly to cover.

fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Well I wish you look. :D
derrick

Post by derrick »

Looking for timber today for my shelters got a roll of polly and two rolls of insulation its early days yet .Not tried my loft yet but I need a velux window for cheap most stuff is to tall for loft so in the conservatory again
Attachments
DSCF3608.JPG
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Not had time to do anything in the way of protecting anything. I will see how next week goes and probably dry out my ensetes to store in the loft. I will also be lifting and potting up my young basjoos as they haven't really established in their first year out. Everything else should be hardy or is potted and will be moved into my polyhouse (yet to be erected) should the need arise.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Tom2006 wrote:Not had time to do anything in the way of protecting anything. I will see how next week goes and probably dry out my ensetes to store in the loft. I will also be lifting and potting up my young basjoos as they haven't really established in their first year out. Everything else should be hardy or is potted and will be moved into my polyhouse (yet to be erected) should the need arise.
My basjoo's need moving and potting up too.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

derrick wrote:Looking for timber today for my shelters got a roll of polly and two rolls of insulation its early days yet .Not tried my loft yet but I need a velux window for cheap most stuff is to tall for loft so in the conservatory again
Good idea.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Must be really hard on you northern folk to only be able to look at your garden for 3-4 months out of the year, plants must suffer.
I'm expecting another 4 weeks before seriously thinking of dragging the pots in. The joys of living in the south I s'pose...and being lazy :wink:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Yes we don't get a lot of growing time for tropicals, this year was ok. I could possibly get another month of leaving the plants outside but its a big risk.