begonia luxurians

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: begonia luxurians

Post by Dave Brown »

I don't think "root hardy"is the correct term, as they won't sprout from a root. What actually happens is they sprout from the stem at a leaf node below ground level, providing it is planted deep enough.

Here are my 3
Attachments
Begonia luxurians in front garden
Begonia luxurians in front garden
8ft tall Begonia luxurians sprawling over
8ft tall Begonia luxurians sprawling over
Begonia luxurians in back garden
Begonia luxurians in back garden
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

mine didn't get the pink stem like yours Dave, it was more of a dark purple color. its from the UK so should be about the same.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Dave Brown wrote:I don't think "root hardy"is the correct term, as they won't sprout from a root. What actually happens is they sprout from the stem at a leaf node below ground level, providing it is planted deep enough.

Here are my 3
That makes more sense icon_thumleft
simon

Post by simon »

Delboy wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:I don't think "root hardy"is the correct term, as they won't sprout from a root. What actually happens is they sprout from the stem at a leaf node below ground level, providing it is planted deep enough.

Here are my 3
Surely if the roots survive winter in the ground, then it is root hardy. If some of the stem survives below ground too then it is better than root hardy.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

simon wrote:
Delboy wrote:

Here are my 3
Surely if the roots survive winter in the ground, then it is root hardy. If some of the stem survives below ground too then it is better than root hardy.
Good point Simon icon_thumright but if the stem completely dies it won't re-sprout from roots, so I still think 'root hardy' is not quite correct.

When planting out, plant as deep as possible to ensure multiple stem nodes underground. It will root from all nodes, but only re-sprout from frost free nodes :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Delboy »

So I wonder if my 5ltr plant is worth potting up into a 10 ltr and planting that bit deeper.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Delboy wrote:So I wonder if my 5ltr plant is worth potting up into a 10 ltr and planting that bit deeper.
I always repot putting the rootball on the bottom of the pot and backfilling around the stems :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Delboy »

Nice one, will do that asap.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Dave Brown wrote:
Delboy wrote:So I wonder if my 5ltr plant is worth potting up into a 10 ltr and planting that bit deeper.
I always repot putting the rootball on the bottom of the pot and backfilling around the stems :wink:
Do you ever have problems with stem rot from this?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

miketropic wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:
Do you ever have problems with stem rot from this?
No, but they cannot tolerate poor drainage and wilt dramatically :ahhh!:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Blairs »

Dave Brown wrote:
So it is like plunging leggy Impatiens/Lavender in a pot, cover with soil, to get lots of new plants as the stem will produce roots. Might try that with Begonia luxurians as I have a list of people who want some.
Lys

Post by Lys »

Dave - I know this is an older post but was looking for info on B. luxrians...then I saw your photos. Third photo, right hand corner shows a lovely dark leaved variagated plant. Please can you tell me what it is and where you got it! (I have been looking for strobilanthes last year with no success and this would be an ideal alternative). icon_cheers