In your face winter, new waggies arrive.

Delboy

Re: In your face winter, new waggies arrive.

Post by Delboy »

Don't think George has had fortunei for a long time, shame as they looked nice specimens.
Nigel's (Hardy palms)Fortunei look very good quality and once I move if I have space for one more I will be tempted to plant one of his big ones.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Hardy palms, palms are great. Highly recommend the T Fortunei
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Well cared for Waggies are awesome. That is just a badly pruned/cared for Waggie. Love my Waggies more than my Fortunei.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

How should you protect them through winter?
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

You don't really need to unless it gets to -10C or below. Unless they are very small in which case I just put large containers/pots over my smallest and put a couple of hot bottles of water in with them. My largest I have wrapped a few times in bubble wrap down to the ground, again placing some bottles of hot water around them. Has got them all through the last couple of winters here when we have seen -10C or lower.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

fern Rob wrote:How should you protect them through winter?
Usually you don't :lol:

My baby waggy was covered in snow and freezing temps for a week, and lol'd at it. :lol:
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Once a waggie or fortunei have a couple of feet of clear trunk -10 will not touch them if planted out. karl.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

There are 5 big Trachycarpus fortunei close to me and all survived Dec 2010 unmarked. These are big plants, one in a local park, 1 in the hospital grounds and the other 3 are in front gardens. so they have seen off -21, a few are close to houses but still shows how tough they can be when mature!!
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Will my 30cm trunk Trachys be ok.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Rob have a look at this

In the video I only protect the freshly planted juvenile palms, but anything in the ground more than a year went unprotected regardless of size, see 1:48 in particular, tiny waggy... i'm sure I could have left even the newly planted ones unprotected looking back though.

Dim

Post by Dim »

greendragon wrote:If you want stiff leaves get a chamaerops, at least that will never get tall enough to look ridiculous in this country.
they are not as hardy as a waggy, and grow much slower .... I planted 2 in a garden 3 years ago, and they have not even grown a foot taller yet
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

cordyman wrote:Rob have a look at this

In the video I only protect the freshly planted juvenile palms, but anything in the ground more than a year went unprotected regardless of size, see 1:48 in particular, tiny waggy... i'm sure I could have left even the newly planted ones unprotected looking back though.

Thanks
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

cordyman wrote:
greendragon wrote:those waggies in 20 years

[ Image ]
If that didn't have such a harsh trim, with some more leaves left on under the crown to balance it, would be a cracker!!
This Waggy, as Greendragon very well knows, was transplanted at Kew and suffered badly as a result so is a very poor reference point of the species as a whole! Anybody who needs any further convincing would be well advised to visit Peter Jenkins garden in Middlesex and marvel at his fantastic specimens including the hundreds of pristine home grown plants that he sells at a fraction of the cost you would find elsewhere!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Rob S wrote:
cordyman wrote:
greendragon wrote:those waggies in 20 years

[ Image ]
If that didn't have such a harsh trim, with some more leaves left on under the crown to balance it, would be a cracker!!
This Waggy, as Greendragon very well knows, was transplanted at Kew and suffered badly as a result so is a very poor reference point of the species as a whole! Anybody who needs any further convincing would be well advised to visit Peter Jenkins garden in Middlesex and marvel at his fantastic specimens including the hundreds of pristine home grown plants that he sells at a fraction of the cost you would find elsewhere!

Agree Rob.. blatant troll attempt, which failed when everyone said they loved waggies lol
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Yep nigels Trachycarpus Fortunei's at Hardypalms are great, this is mine i got this year. Now planted though. :D
Attachments
phpwGO2p1PM.jpg