Fatsia Spiders Web

Clive60

Fatsia Spiders Web

Post by Clive60 »

I picked up a Spiders Web at my local GC, not a very colourful specimen but it was the best of five. It has a small side shoot, should I leave it on or try and remove it. I haven't seen any for sale around here before so I don't know if £9 is a reasonable price or not. The plant excluding pot is about 15ins high.
greyhound

Re: Fatsia Spiders Web

Post by greyhound »

Lovely plant Clive .I would think you have a bargain at that price icon_cheers
K9's and exotic palms not a good combo K9's 5 :exotic palms 0
brendan

Post by brendan »

Leave the side shoot on it will just end up multi stemed and don't worry about the colour you will probably find that the leaf colour and variegation will change with every new flush.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Looks a good buy to me, still need to pick one up myself.
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

It was an impulse buy as I now have to find somewhere to put it!! :)

I planted a fatsia Jap Var March last year and had disappointingly, nearly all green leaves in it's first summer, this year it has a mass of variegated leaves so I will be patient with this one.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Great purchase.
multim

Post by multim »

Yup, good price. I planted one last year and it's a slow grower. This plant needs a little 'giddy-up'. I have moved it to a different position to see if this helps. If not it's hasta la vista, baby!
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

spiders web is a slow grower.
I have two little ones in total dark and they are growing though.
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Full sun or (part) shade?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Clive60 wrote:Full sun or (part) shade?

Part shade.
dino

Post by dino »

I wouldn't plant out til next spring as they're not as hardy as the standard even though you're further south. I lost one that size in the ground 2 years ago.
derrick

Post by derrick »

That's true Dino thinking about fleecing mine .Nine pounds a good price Clive.They all look different in the shop I got mine back in the summer .
Attachments
DSCF3732.JPG
DSCF3756.JPG
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I got mine back in march as a tiny little plant from the uk..it started slow but picked up over summer and I was well impressed. color isn't that great yet but it has been dug up and potted and should really do well next year. I say that was a great buy
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

I will do as recommended, plant next Spring and with some shade. icon_thumleft
simon

Post by simon »

I thnk the leaf colour in Spider's Web is light dependant. Mine had good variegation until I removed the tree that shaded it and this years flush has much more green. Side shoots at base level which are heavily shaded are virtually all white. I would give it as much shade as possible if you want plenty of white in the leaves.