Poorly plants

Sanke

Re: Poorly plants

Post by Sanke »

Nigel we are in Rochford just down the road from you

Tom2006 we bought the fern in 2012 (probably the summer) it survived without protection next to our pond in our last house (still in Rocvhford) despite heavy snow When covered I just knocked it off. Its replacement(bought June of this year) is in a pot just outside our conservatory so gets plenty of light. I think I will wrap pot to give some insulation & then use fleece as & when
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

It will have been killed by the snow as it's not got and root coverage to add natural insulation.
Sanke

Post by Sanke »

fern Rob wrote:It will have been killed by the snow as it's not got and root coverage to add natural insulation.

Hi Rob
It was fine after the snow We moved in February of this year(no snow or frost to affect it) & it flourished sending out new fronds. I suspect that I had not got the food / water routine right & that it suffered from lack of shelter causing leaves to go brown We enquired at the suppliers GC & despite my reservations followed their advice. Its replacement has more plants around it to help buffer the wind (learning through my mistakes)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

fern Rob wrote:It will have been killed by the snow as it's not got and root coverage to add natural insulation.
Your logic is the opposite of mine icon_scratch , as snow cover protects things from frost, here at least Dicksonia antarctica survived -10C under a blanket of 33cm snow. The snow weighed the fronds down creating an igloo. Obviously if you have cut the fronds off there will not be any natural protection.

Perhaps Sheffield has a colder climate than Kent and Essex.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nigel Fear »

Sanke wrote:Nigel we are in Rochford just down the road from you
Then, unless it was in bad shape before you got it, I doubt that last winter ever got cold enough to kill it outright in Rochford, despite the late arrival of spring.
It may have lightly browned the uppermost fronds if exposed, but that's about it.

In shade, ordinarily the fronds should remain evergreen for 2_3 years here. Best thing to do with your new one, is to ideally choose a shady spot for it, and plant it in the ground for optimum growth, and dig-in some good moisture retaining loamy soil.
Come and see mine on Sunday morning if you've got time, I,m probably in as near-identical climate as you can get to anyone in this forum.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

How did you feed it?....if it sent up fronds in spring then the only options are death from drought or poisoning.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Tom2006 wrote:How did you feed it?....if it sent up fronds in spring then the only options are death from drought or poisoning.
I agree with you.
I can not understand how it as died if the winter didn't kill it. It could only really be drought of poisoning.
Sanke

Post by Sanke »

Drought or poisoning ?

Drought quite possibly but we watered daily (fern was in a pot some 3ft high) Can you overwater ?

Poisoning Not intentionally. Not used any chemicals near it. It was against a new fence ? Could that have affected it ?

Feeding In my innocence & naivety I didn't have a feeding regime (ok shoot me now) Only fed chicken blood & bone What would be best way to feed them
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

A really good feed is the athelas plants tree fern feed. You can not really over water a tree fern.
Sanke

Post by Sanke »

Hi Rob
Just had a look at the feed Not expensive either so will definitely be getting some of that
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Sanke wrote:Hi Rob
Just had a look at the feed Not expensive either so will definitely be getting some of that
It works well.
Dim

Post by Dim »

I'm planning to plant several small ones in an area of my garden, instead of planting Dryopteris affinis 'The King' ferns

this site as small ones grown from seed for £10.50 each wit roots grown from seed

http://www.exclusiveplants.co.uk/produc ... php?id=110

and they claim:

seed grown plants on their own roots make stunning large ferns to grow in the garden or pots, looking very architectural in their own right and I suspect are hardier having the benefit of a root system. Superb.

here is a website that advises on how to plant them:
http://www.dicksoniaantarctica.co.uk/ho ... splanting/

they advise to use fish/blood/bone, which I never use anymore .... there are much better fertilizers
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Could anyone on the other side of your fence have sprayed it with something?

You cant really over water them so as long as the daily water was a good one we can rule that out.

It could have been feeding did you feed the crown and if so with what and how?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

It doesn't really add up, it may come back to life with any look.