Mild, Wet Autumn - what to bring in early?

Kristen

Mild, Wet Autumn - what to bring in early?

Post by Kristen »

Given that its still mild, but wet, is there anything I should be bringing in early, ahead of the first frost? Strikes me that some things are doing to be wet, when they do come in, and as the days get shorter the chances of them drying out much is slim?

My Cannas look like they are pretty much done. Although if I leave them out longer they may set seed (i.e. the ones that haven't already).

Other candidates might include:

Begonia luxurians
Brugmansia

Anything in pots - such as the few Bananas I have which have not yet been planted out (too small / immature)

Anything that wants 5C or better. Fuchsia thalia, the odds and sods of Streptocarpus and house plants out-for-the-summer

Colocasia?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Mild, Wet Autumn - what to bring in early?

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

The clocks go back at, the weekend and its school half term which marks the point in the calendar when I put the garden to bed. The ensetes will be dug up and dried and basjoo protected. Small potted plants will be brought under cover. The planted out colocasia will be left out until frosted then dug up along with canna.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

My Cacti will be dug out to be dried off this weekend before going into the loft for winter.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by billdango »

Its the constant wet now that will be more of a problem then frost.

The few pot plants that I have are still outside as it is still very mild.

They are 3 large Nerium oleanders,1 musa [red variety].

And about a dozen baby T fortuni palms about 12 inches tall.

My 2 six foot Howea forsteriana came inside last week but could have still stayed outside as the temperature here in Southampton hasen't gone lower then +12c on any night yet.

These 2 large palms are stood in the shade of my large T fortuni in my back garden and are there in a normal year from about early June till end October.

They just love it there and look still in perfect health.

The only other outside plants are 6 Ivy varieties hanging on the wall in my side entrance and they will go in my shed end of November till next April.

Thats about it I think.

billdango :D
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Half term icon_cheers That's when I give my garden a good sort out and tidy up.

I've brought my tenders inside already and need to get my succulents, Strelitzia, and other plants that can't handle frosts or near frosts inside pretty soon too. I know some of my plants I will be bringing in will be able to cope with light frosts, but like to bring them in (if I remember) before the foliage gets damaged.

Cannas, usually a last minute job for me (though last year I never got round to digging them out, but usually do), together with murellii and other bits and pieces.

Some of my not so hardy potted palms will be coming in too.

It's normally organised chaos at the last minute here - or more often than not, just chaos :roll:

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
greyhound

Post by greyhound »

Brought a few into the conservatory today
Attachments
image.jpg
K9's and exotic palms not a good combo K9's 5 :exotic palms 0
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Anything that isn't firmly fixed down, or has large leaves liable to gale damage :roll:
greyhound

Post by greyhound »

Moved a few pots over to a south facing wall
Attachments
image.jpg
K9's and exotic palms not a good combo K9's 5 :exotic palms 0
derrick

Post by derrick »

Some plants will come in weekend prickly pear cactus Aeonium some Alocasia . My Brugmansia about to flush and some of my Cannas gingers most stuff in flower its a shame to lift yet . The winds have trashed some stuff I also get leaves from one of the trees .
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

I have a lots of plants in pots which I will put in the greenhouse for Sunday/Monday only, as there is VERY bad weather forecast here along the South coast (70/80 mph winds) and they would end up all over the place. We had a 4c last night, 8c drop on the previous night but as they are going up again I will leave everything out as long as possible.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

You have a lot of nice plants Greyhound - am impressed.

I have left everything out so far apart from the begonia luxurians, brugs and Maurelli, mainly as the Maurelli kept falling over in its pot. Some Agave pups are inside, others in a coldframe. Apart from that I have not protected anything. As it was so wet last year I keep the plants well drained with Perlite, bark, stones and kitty litter.

It is forecast to dip to 2C here on Saturday night/Sunday morning so I will see if there is any damage, panic and protect what I can. Strelizia really does need to come in!
flounder

Post by flounder »

This weekend is going to be the earliest I have ever moved plants under cover. Severe storm forecast for Sunday night so even the gazebo is coming down, even though it's in a sheltered location.
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

I am thinking along the same lines as you.I have started bringing in, my plants, just to get them a bit dryer,before the frosts come.Plus the extra heat,when the sun comes out,will keep them growing a bit longer.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

greyhound wrote:Moved a few pots over to a south facing wall
A great set of Dicksonia antarctica, have you any other tree ferns.
call

Post by call »

so far-

.put houseplants in the house

-put semi tender (min 5C) plants in the polytunnel

-put half hardy (min 0C) plants in the alpine house and against the wall

-netted epiphyte tree for protection against wind and rain

and this weekend I hope to dig up and pot on the big ensete :roll: :wink: