Black Bamboo - The Final Chop

DiCasS

Black Bamboo - The Final Chop

Post by DiCasS »

I decided to give my black Bamboo the chop. O/h has been busy this week between rain cutting off canes and stripping them down. I was amazed when these were cut down how much more light I had in the garden. The canes had got to the maximum height and he reckoned there were well over 100 canes. I think I wrote in another thread that the base had gotten to 4 ft. in 10ish years, but being able to see the base properly, was probably no more than 3ft across, though the foliage further up probably branched out at near 10ft.

Here are some of the canes, green being the newest ones and black the oldest, which most are giving to our next door neighbour for his garden.
Picture 3342 [640x480].jpg
We are now left with the hard part of digging the rihzomes out
Picture 3348 [640x480].jpg
Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
jcec1

Re: Black Bamboo - The Final Chop

Post by jcec1 »

Are you keeping the canes for plant support?

They look really nice compared to the normal bamboo canes that you can buy, or will they dry out to brown?
greyhound

Post by greyhound »

E pay purchase
Attachments
image.jpg
K9's and exotic palms not a good combo K9's 5 :exotic palms 0
derrick

Post by derrick »

Mine done ok got mine in spring looks healthy .So about ten feet or more in height mines in a large water tank sunk in the ground .
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Why don't you like the plant anymore?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

fern Rob wrote:Why don't you like the plant anymore?
Yes why has it had the chop?
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

And here's me wishing mine would grow that tall :)
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

fern Rob wrote:Why don't you like the plant anymore?
Yes why has it had the chop?
simon

Post by simon »

I am in the process of doing the same with my Fargesia robusta. It has got to big for the spot. Its footprint has expanded faster than the Phylostachys nigra 'Boryana' and Chusquea couleou near by and they were all planted at the same time. I have left a few culms intact so I can remove a piece to transplant to my mother-in-laws garden.

I might take out the Nigra 'Boryana' too. I have been disapointed with the lack of 'snakeskin' appearance on the culms, which is the reason I wanted one. It isn't showing any signs of improvement.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Unfortunately my bamboo has outstayed its welcome. I've still got a couple more in the garden but the black bamboo had to go. Due to a house move which is now not going ahead (first on the chain pulled out a day before signing :( ), and after digging up and potting most of my garden, decided a re-design for next Spring, and tbh, I got a bit fed up with it and lost interest in it. So it's time for something different in it's place. Plus the light difference I found amazing.

Jcec, yes the canes do fade over time unfortunately. I've kept some canes back, but most are going to a neighbour with a veggie garden. I've used some in the past for support.

Simon, I was gonna mention about Fargesia next as I've had the same experience as you. Planted the same time as my black bamboo, but is a couple of foot wider at the bottom and I know it has travelled over to next door as I've been round to have a look. My Fargesia is behind my seating area, (being 12ft wide) and the canopy is overhanging both sides :roll: I have two Fargesia, Simba (I'm almost sure) and another, and both have grown bigger than Nigra, but imo, prettier bamboo, so will be staying.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

DiCasS wrote:Unfortunately my bamboo has outstayed its welcome. I've still got a couple more in the garden but the black bamboo had to go. Due to a house move which is now not going ahead (first on the chain pulled out a day before signing :( ), and after digging up and potting most of my garden, decided a re-design for next Spring, and tbh, I got a bit fed up with it and lost interest in it. So it's time for something different in it's place. Plus the light difference I found amazing.

Jcec, yes the canes do fade over time unfortunately. I've kept some canes back, but most are going to a neighbour with a veggie garden. I've used some in the past for support.

Simon, I was gonna mention about Fargesia next as I've had the same experience as you. Planted the same time as my black bamboo, but is a couple of foot wider at the bottom and I know it has travelled over to next door as I've been round to have a look. My Fargesia is behind my seating area, (being 12ft wide) and the canopy is overhanging both sides :roll: I have two Fargesia, Simba (I'm almost sure) and another, and both have grown bigger than Nigra, but imo, prettier bamboo, so will be staying.

Di

Very sorry to hear about the house move disappointment. It must be very frustrating. Will be interesting to see your new garden design next spring. icon_thumleft
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Thanks Kris, it's happened twice now so have decided to stay put for the time being.

No actual plans yet, just thoughts in my head.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

simon wrote:I am in the process of doing the same with my Fargesia robusta. It has got to big for the spot. Its footprint has expanded faster than the Phylostachys nigra 'Boryana' and Chusquea couleou near by and they were all planted at the same time. I have left a few culms intact so I can remove a piece to transplant to my mother-in-laws garden.

I might take out the Nigra 'Boryana' too. I have been disapointed with the lack of 'snakeskin' appearance on the culms, which is the reason I wanted one. It isn't showing any signs of improvement.
Fargesia is stronger growing up here than Phyllostachys as well.

I guess they are well behaved in the fact that they do not send out runners that pop up a distance away from the original clump, but the clump does some to keep expanding and expanding!