T. Rex

Cardiffcol

T. Rex

Post by Cardiffcol »

What's the best way of protecting a T.rex through winter?
charliepridham

Re: T. Rex

Post by charliepridham »

You don't need to, they are root hardy.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

The growing tip does need fleecing in bad weather, it all depends on harshness and duration of winters and how big your tetrapanax is. Well draining soil does help over winter or having evergreen protection above. Worst case scenario they are root hardy, but you obviously want more than that in your garden. If it is small then a greenhouse is fine.
Cardiffcol

Post by Cardiffcol »

Thanks. I know they are root hardy, but I want them to start from last years growth for height. When you say protect with fleece, do you mean just wrap it round the growing point and tie it on or put straw around it first and then hold it together with the fleece? The reason I ask is if the fleece gets wet and it is directly on the plant and freezes won't that do it harm? Thanks!
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

4 bits of wood with a sheet of perspex over the top ought to be enough unless severe low temps occur then a bit of dry fleece round the growing point and top of the plant will help.
look out if it does get damaged,they will pop up everywhere from below the surface of your soil
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I've heard of people putting a 2L Pop bottle, stuffed with straw, over the growing point - which would keep it dry of course.
Dim

Post by Dim »

Kristen wrote:I've heard of people putting a 2L Pop bottle, stuffed with straw, over the growing point - which would keep it dry of course.
I have a few small ones in the ground ...

if I cover with straw in a plastic pop bottle, do I need to make holes in the bottle? (if the leaves are removed, the central stems are a bit shorter than a 2l coke bottle, so the open part of the bottle will be resting on the ground which may allow condensation into the bottle)
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I think if the cut-off bottom of the bottle is clear of the ground you don't need any air holes - enough air will find its way in at the bottom, and not letting any rain water in at the top will keep the straw dry.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Cardiffcol wrote:Thanks. I know they are root hardy, but I want them to start from last years growth for height. When you say protect with fleece, do you mean just wrap it round the growing point and tie it on or put straw around it first and then hold it together with the fleece? The reason I ask is if the fleece gets wet and it is directly on the plant and freezes won't that do it harm? Thanks!
Unless it's in a spot that's prone to flooding, Just leave as it is, Cardiff is one of the warmer areas of the uk, it'll be just fine, the existing leaves will all die off, but that's normal for here.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Kristen wrote:I've heard of people putting a 2L Pop bottle, stuffed with straw, over the growing point - which would keep it dry of course.
what I did to mine yesterday..all leave removed and bottle tied down on it.