Fatsia japonica flowering late 2013 ?

Is your Fatsia japonica flowering at it's normal time this year (2013)

Yes, mine is on time
46%
No, mine is later than usual
54%
No, don't have one
No votes

Total votes: 24

Conifers

Re: Fatsia japonica flowering late 2013 ?

Post by Conifers »

cordyman wrote:Moseri just come fully into flower and buds all open, taken this morning
That's still in bud, not open yet - compare the pic above icon_thumright
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Conifers wrote:
cordyman wrote:Moseri just come fully into flower and buds all open, taken this morning
That's still in bud, not open yet - compare the pic above icon_thumright

ah nice, so i'm really late then :D 1st time i've had a Fatsia flower icon_salut
call

Post by call »

my larger spiders web has got a bud on it icon_thumright
billdango

Post by billdango »

My Japonica normally flowers in late November so at the moment is right on time.

billdango :D
Dave in Warrington

Post by Dave in Warrington »

The Fatsia japonica here is flowering, but I hadn't noted any dates in previous years so don't know if early or late :oops:

With the frost last night, it may be short lived too :ahhh!:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Is it worth chopping the buds off to preserve energy? Mine are not very advanced at all, compared to photos here, so perhaps too late into the Autumn to come to anything anyway?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Kristen wrote:Is it worth chopping the buds off to preserve energy? Mine are not very advanced at all, compared to photos here, so perhaps too late into the Autumn to come to anything anyway?
It's worth chopping them off to save a mess icon_thumright I always chop my flowers off before they turn into berries as they get squashed & trodden indoors & it's hard to get out, also I get so many self seeded Fatsia's popping up all around the garden & none of my family or friends want any more :lol:

My Fatsia is flowering now, so about right, but my Phoenix canariensis is just pushing out some spathes & not sure if it is early or late for that as it has never flowered before & I have not noticed when others locally have flowered...
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

i'm keeping me flowers, a very nice sight in the garden when everything else is starting the slow decline to bombsite drunken_smilie1 drunken_smilie1
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

cordyman wrote:i'm keeping me flowers, a very nice sight in the garden when everything else is starting the slow decline to bombsite drunken_smilie1 drunken_smilie1
Good nectar flowers as well :wink:
Attachments
Fatsia big wasp 05112006 008.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GREVILLE »

There seems to a variation in expected flowering times that doesn't match the location, i.e. South earlier, North later. On the basis of flowering times posted here, my forty year old plus specimen would be considered early with it's usual mid to late October start.

I wouldn't put this down to being in a warm sunny spot. It's planted against the North West side of the house and doesn't receive sun until early afternoon. The base of the plant never gets any sun all year as the walled stairway into the garden permanently shades the roots. My lowest soil temperatures in the garden are right where the Fatsia grows. I would expect flowering to always be late.

Would the differing flowering times more likely be down to seed variation?

The only reason I can determine for a later than usual start was the bitterly cold Spring.