How much rain do you have in autumn?

eddie

How much rain do you have in autumn?

Post by eddie »

Just wondering, we are having one of the wettest autumns ever according to one of our met-offices.
From 1-9 till now 240 mm, so by the end of the season at 30-11 it will most likely be 300+

How much rain did you get this year? Is our season dry compared to the UK?

Our strongest wind was 153 kph (95.6mph).

Greetz from the other side of the pond,
icon_sunny
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
kata

Re: How much rain do you have in autumn?

Post by kata »

A lot, sorry no amounts for you Eddy,

Lancashire lives under a blanket sky anyway so we get a vast amount of rain at the best of times. for the last few days its been more like a monsoon.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/nw/print.html

icon_cheers
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I don't know how much rain we have had this autumn, but it is a lot but then I do live in Wales. :lol: :lol: :lol:. But I do know we have had winds of just over 100 miles an hour. I seem to remember it being 103- 105. icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Only 117mm, and 92.4kph here since 1st Sep.
Attachments
2013-09-01 to 2013-11-04 weather.JPG
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Tom2006 »

I haveno way of recording it but we've had loads. But summer was so dry its barely made a difference. Autumn should be our wettest season though previous years this hasnt been the case in recent years. Rain is always welcome here in autumn and winter as it means milder. icon_cheers
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
eddie

Post by eddie »

kata wrote:A lot, sorry no amounts for you Eddy,

Lancashire lives under a blanket sky anyway so we get a vast amount of rain at the best of times. for the last few days its been more like a monsoon.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/nw/print.html

icon_cheers
Thanks for the link!
These values can be compared with annual totals of about 500mm in the drier parts of eastern England and over 4000mm in the western Scottish Highlands.

4000mm.......wow.....that's a lot of rain
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

eddie wrote:4000mm.......wow.....that's a lot of rain
It is but it does afford those who live in such wet places a pretty much frost free location. Cordylines grow massive, Gunnera is a pest and Rhododendron a problem. If I lived their I would plant a massive Dicksonia grove as I wager they would do well.

On the other side of Scotland, Dunbar (near Edinburgh) has on average 550mm of rain per year, which is only 10% wetter than the driest part of England.

I have had 163mm of rainfall since 01-Sep-2013 (127.6mm of that was in October).
kata

Post by kata »

Hope it was helpful Eddie,

Do a lot of people measure rain? Its an Interesting subject right enough.

Wettest known locations

Cherrapunji, situated on the southern slopes of the Eastern Himalaya in Shillong, India is the confirmed wettest places on Earth, with an average annual rainfall of 11,430 mm (450 in). The highest recorded rainfall in a single year was 22,987 mm (905.0 in) in 1861. The 38-year average at nearby Mawsynram, Meghalaya, India is 11,873 mm (467.4 in).

The wettest spot in Australia is Mount Bellenden Ker in the north-east of the country which records an average of 8,000 millimetres (310 in) per year, with over 12,200 mm (480.3 in) of rain recorded during 2000. Mount Waialeale on the island of Kauaʻi in the Hawaiian Islands averages more than 11,680 millimetres (460 in) of rain per year over the last 32 years, with a record 17,340 millimetres (683 in) in 1982. Its summit is considered one of the rainiest spots on earth.

It has been promoted in tourist literature for many years as the wettest spot in the world. Lloró, a town situated in Chocó, Colombia, is probably the place with the largest measured rainfall in the world, averaging 13,300 mm (520 in) per year. The Department of Chocó is extraordinarily humid. Tutunendo, a small town situated in the same department, is one of the wettest estimated places on Earth, averaging 11,394 mm (448.6 in) per year; in 1974 the town received 26,303 mm (86 ft 3.6 in), the largest annual rainfall measured in Colombia.

Unlike Cherrapunji, which receives most of its rainfall between April and September, Tutunendo receives rain almost uniformly distributed throughout the year. Quibdó, the capital of Chocó, receives the most rain in the world among cities with over 100,000 inhabitants: 9,000 millimetres (350 in) per year.[155] Storms in Chocó can drop 500 mm (20 in) of rainfall in a day. This amount is more than falls in many cities in a year's time.

Wikipedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain

icon_sunny
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

October was extremely wet here - 235 mm. although it didn't seem like it. Most of the rain fell during the night, so we had quite a few decent sunny days as well. Sept. gave us 83mm and so far this month we've had 29mm. So the total for here from Sept 1 is 347mm. Coupled with night lows rarely below 14C for much of that time, (we've had several 8C nights in the past few weeks), growing conditions have been extremely good.
multim

Post by multim »

Rainfall ;
Sept = 71.1mm
Oct = 154.9mm
Nov (to date) = 45mm
Max wind = Oct 28th = 36mph
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

109mm here in October, and probably close to 30mm already this month.
eddie

Post by eddie »

I believe Torquay is quite a wet place, but also very green.

Should we water our garden more to encourage growth? Places with lots of rain seem to provide good growing conditions icon_scratch
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

A lot of rain. My garden is almost waterlogged .
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Ditto, loads of heavy rain here in the last few weeks.
Its good though as the ground here has been very dry for the past few autumn/winters, even some established shrubs showing signs of drought damage during those periods.
Things looking lush at the moment and more to come!
Dim

Post by Dim »

never measured, but I connected my 1st water butt on friday, and it's more than 1/4 full so far (3 days)... its a 235 litre