For Redsquirrel (Darren) Trachycarpus naintal

sanatic1234

For Redsquirrel (Darren) Trachycarpus naintal

Post by sanatic1234 »

Hi Redsquirell,

Thought i would up date you on the Trachycarpus Nainitail seedling you send me nearly 2 years ago now. It hasn't produced its first true leave yet but it won't be long now i feel, the base has gotten very sturdy i have so far since having it counted 9 strap leaves. It currently has 5 on it now and the centre leave which also looks to be a strap leave. It is doing very well.
Attachments
phphjzfalAM.jpg
phpUgO8GcAM.jpg
phpNjZ3O2AM.jpg
kata

Re: For Redsquirell (Darren) Trachycarpus naintal

Post by kata »

Red has some great stock San and that look a belter,

I got this:

I got this one from Red, about two- three years ago now.
redtrachi.jpg
I don't know what kind it is but its romped away this summer in the garden, only problem is I don't think it likes the soil cus it soon goes brown.

icon_cheers

Here is a naintal I bought, I think thats in the garden too San.
tnainital.gif
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Good old Darren. He seems to have a never ending supply of palm seedlings, and is very generous with them. icon_cheers icon_thumright Lots of gardeners are kind hearted but he goes the extra mile. icon_salut
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Once mine puts out its true leaves mine will get planted. :-) But yes it is coming a long great. Sadly lost my two butias last year a long with many other plants. Yours look good kata. Your nanitail is well a head of mine.

Junglejas. Yes red is very generous and a very kind bloke. :-)
pdid

Post by pdid »

I'll add the Mediopicta you sent me a few years ago. It's just been repotted. Thanks Darren 8)
IMG_20131105_160643.jpg
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

jungle jas wrote:Good old Darren. He seems to have a never ending supply of palm seedlings, and is very generous with them. icon_cheers icon_thumright Lots of gardeners are kind hearted but he goes the extra mile. icon_salut
I'll second that. A couple of years ago he asked me if I fancied a few Butia eriospatha seedlings. I now have enough to plant a forest! Damned hardy too!
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

DaveP wrote:
jungle jas wrote:Good old Darren. He seems to have a never ending supply of palm seedlings, and is very generous with them. icon_cheers icon_thumright Lots of gardeners are kind hearted but he goes the extra mile. icon_salut
I'll second that. A couple of years ago he asked me if I fancied a few Butia eriospatha seedlings. I now have enough to plant a forest! Damned hardy too!
One of my butias was that Dave and i lost it last year indoors! it went brown, growth point pulled with no more than a light tease nothing else and the roots were all mush. ROT for sure.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

well what can i say?absolute pleasure to come home from work and read this.all i can say is thank you for the kind remarks and really pleased its all going well.
i will add though,my generosity is not all my own doing,i have been very lucky too with other peoples generosity passing on thousands of seeds for me to have a pop at.
i cant keep all the plants so its best i pass them on and extend the favour.
San,i have some more eriospathas in the microwave,will replace those you lost in the new year. icon_thumright
Dave,your plants/seeds came from portugal, something in that maybe?
K,you have done well,my plants from that batch look much worse than yours and grow stunted leaves that look like i trimmed the tips with scissors :lol:
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Darren what came of those seeds I sent over? Wodyetias if memory serves me...
Steph

Re: For Redsquirrel (Darren) Trachycarpus naintal

Post by Steph »

And me, I am not quite overrun with Darrens generosity but theres plenty here as well.

I have noticed with larger 'seedlings' that in the open ground they grow much faster, maybe overpot them considerably to replicate that?
kata

Post by kata »

:lol: :lol: :lol: @ Red,

The scissor look will do me my wittle cherub, you an Debs are the best.

Sing it for Red an Debs..... icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

Troppoz wrote:Darren what came of those seeds I sent over? Wodyetias if memory serves me...
i think after distributing them i had 8 left,managed to get 5 germinate,2 of which stayed going for over a year but i put them outside and they just gave up.i dont think the climate or lack of it helped.
germinating seeds is my favourite part of this exotic game so i did enjoy what i think is the best part of them icon_thumright icon_thumright icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

btw,if anyone wants any nainital seedlings,ive got one washing up bowl left with a good few in.
all i ask is postage to be paid by paypal.i think its around £3.00 for a small packet now,cant get away with envelopes anymore as they dont fit through that stupid guage thing at the post office icon_rambo icon_rambo
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Yes it is £3.00 Darren for a small parcel. :) and thank you about the replacements darren as usual very kind of you. Here is a link for the royal mail prices.

http://www.royalmail.com/prices-2013#UK Standard
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

redsquirrel wrote: Dave,your plants/seeds came from portugal, something in that maybe?
Could be Darren. I inadvertently left them outside last winter and they have grown much better than when kept under cover. first pinnate fronds are showing on a few and I expect all of them to develop their pinnate leaves next year. They are staying out again this year, although they'll have overhead protection.