Wrapped your Nana's yet?

kata

Re: Wrapped your Nana's yet?

Post by kata »

You bought a house just for tropical plants Tom.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Sort of yes. :lol:
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

This was mine yesterday after -1.5C unwrapped
Attachments
2013-11-20 08-12-18 FG Musa basjoo.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I doubt I'd have bothered with mine yet Dave, I'm sort of a late run-around protecter and do things at the last minute, generally when low temps are forecast :roll: I do wish sometimes I was more organised.

Cos I thought I was moving dug my main nanas out and stuck them in dustbins. They're now in my seating area (got a roof on) I've not wrapped yet, but when the weather gets a bit colder will protect them better then. I have no idea how they will cope in there over Winter, suddenly whipped out of the ground and days of rain :roll: I've never dug up my Basjoo before. My smaller ones are still in the ground unprotected and still look okay atm.

Ensete maurelli still in the ground too, it's about time I got that one out soon though.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
glovemeister

Post by glovemeister »

Dug em up and took them to work....year round gardening icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers
Attachments
Work Nana.jpg
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Jon strode mine.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Nah I don't bother and wouldn't if I had to, far too big
Leigh
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Leigh wrote:Nah I don't bother and wouldn't if I had to, far too big
Ditto :lol:

They don't need protecting in Portsmouth & they keep their stems too, just need to chop off the dead leaves come spring & away they go icon_thumleft
PaulPlants

Post by PaulPlants »

Year before last I wrapped my Basjoo stems with straw and chicken wire, and it worked a treat, but I have so many bananas I used 2 and a bit bales of Straw and it made such a mess.

Last winter I simply folded all of the leaves down to protect each trunk. I had to remove about a foot of mushy stem from the top of each plant, but the majority of the height remained.

Don't think I'd bother protecting again? They grow so fast if they dye back.
PaulPlants

Post by PaulPlants »

Here are a couple of before and after shots of my nana's. Can't wait to see everything moving again in the spring.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
daftbanana

Post by daftbanana »

I've wrapped some of my Basjoo stems in hessian sacking with a poly bag over the top and some stems I've left completely unprotected so we'll see what happens there. I 'chickened out' with my Sikki's and have lifted them all as I usually do and simply sat them in pots in the greenhouse with all foliage lopped off.