Ensete Maurelli, storing in compost vs drying out?

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Ensete Maurelli, storing in compost vs drying out?

Post by Dave Brown »

fern Rob wrote:I have left mine outside with straw and bags. I dont think they will survive.
They need to be dry, and never had one survive outside in 32 years, even in the mild period, as ground and air was just too wet :(
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by piechnik99 »

I tried to over winter two last year in pots in the greenhouse (straw & fleece wrapped). I didn't water them at all over the winter.

When I opened them up in mid april they were basically mush :(

I've dug out my one Ensete and trying the dry store thing this year, if that doesn't work then its officially classed annual bedding (at least in my house!) :lol:
dino

Post by dino »

Never tried the dry storage. have always kept in pots and overwintered in home study without radiator on. Have just kept one leaf growing and water slightly when that starts to look sorry for itself. My 3 have survived last 3 years this way although getting heavy to move now. icon_thumright
piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 »

I over wintered and Ensete the winter before last (along with 2 x Basjoo's) at the back of our living room, they kept growing fine - although by the spring they were looking a bit ropey (and in need of feed!).

Due to the wife complaining due to the plants in the lounge they went (and the ensete's case never came out of) the greenhouse last winter!
kata

Post by kata »

Mine has been dried out now, covered in Hessian with a bin bag on top.

Its under cover where it is.

icon_sunny
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

kata wrote:Mine has been dried out now, covered in Hessian with a bin bag on top.

Its under cover where it is.

icon_sunny

outside still?

lop it down kata and bring it in :D
Mowgley

Post by Mowgley »

Mines in the dining room window in a 3l pot still growing :D
Brought it from b&q for £1.50 in October not big enough to dry store
Hopefully it will get through the winter
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

Waste of time storing outside, I did read a thread once where one guy fleeced one in the ground and it was covered in straw and it always worked. It must be on here somewhere but it would just rot if I do it with my climate in winter.

dehumidifier is what you need to get the water out of them as Dave B once said. Its the only way I think without using the airing cupboard.

Anyway at this stage zero deaths so far, 4 months to go!!!! icon_bigsmurf
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

ive put a perlite and compost mix around mine in the bucket, not watered, but not going to let get crispy and dried up like last year, rollers all still slowly moving.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

So i've gone ahead with the free draining perlite/compost mix around the bases, and i've not watered at all yet. They have now stopped shrivelling up, i'm guessing there must have been some water content in the compost, and roller are all on the move again albeit slowly, this is the state I want to try and maintain, super slow active growth

Start of this post they were all level with chop point.

kata

Post by kata »

Mine is still out there under Hessian and a bag. Its drained.

If the weather changes to snow and Ice then it can go in the shed. I Intend God willing to re-plant it in Spring....about 94 days away now. :lol: :lol: :lol:

icon_sunny
weatherdec.gif
weatherdec.gif (5.99 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
Compost and perlite is something I may try tomorrow.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I'm going to replace mine next year,
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

The problem is usually buying them, the hens teeth this year, especially early in the season to get good growth from.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I normally store mine bare root but this year i decided to pot up due to the poor start of this year so i wanted to get a head start for next year. It has only been watered once and that was when it first got potted up, it has grow lights in the storage room and Thermostat heater for when needed and is looking very happy like the rest of my plants in there are, I also removed the left and right side leaves just leaving the center.
Attachments
phpxCSdThAM.jpg
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

sanatic1234 wrote:I normally store mine bare root but this year i decided to pot up due to the poor start of this year so i wanted to get a head start for next year. It has only been watered once and that was when it first got potted up, it has grow lights in the storage room and Thermostat heater for when needed and is looking very happy like the rest of my plants in there are, I also removed the left and right side leaves just leaving the center.

i'm going to add a trickle of water to mine tonight, keep them active