What palms to propagate

miketropic

Re: What palms to propagate

Post by miketropic »

fern Rob wrote:
Kristen wrote:P.S. And then, if you have deep pockets!!, you can drool over Strange Wonderful Things:

Brocheur: http://www.strangewonderfulthings.com/index.html
Shop: http://www.ebay.com/sch/strange_wonderful_things/m.html
Wow

Not wow that guy is a complete rip off. If I can find it on strange wonderful things I can find it elsewhere and I will..also heard some not so good things about the way he obtains the seeds...
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Juania australis, if you could find seeds, would be a good rare palm to try...
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Nathan wrote:Juania australis, if you could find seeds, would be a good rare palm to try...
I should think next to impossible to buy those seeds, I wish I could find some. icon_thumleft
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

miketropic wrote:Not wow that guy is a complete rip off. If I can find it on strange wonderful things I can find it elsewhere and I will..also heard some not so good things about the way he obtains the seeds...
Interesting; I thought he was affiliated with a botanical garden in that area - maybe not?. The prices on his auctions have always been above what I would bid, and you are right I have found them elsewhere at more realistic prices, but his marketing is good - the pictures are fabulous, and the information (e.g. on germination) on his website is very helpful.

P.S. A friend that has bought from him says he has always had good germination, and thinks that his seed is very fresh - which, if always the case, might justify some extra expense - compared to a vendor who was selling old seed, but cheaper. Never easy to tell how old / viable seed might be of course ...
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Kristen wrote:
miketropic wrote:Not wow that guy is a complete rip off. If I can find it on strange wonderful things I can find it elsewhere and I will..also heard some not so good things about the way he obtains the seeds...
Interesting; I thought he was affiliated with a botanical garden in that area - maybe not?. The prices on his auctions have always been above what I would bid, and you are right I have found them elsewhere at more realistic prices, but his marketing is good - the pictures are fabulous, and the information (e.g. on germination) on his website is very helpful.

P.S. A friend that has bought from him says he has always had good germination, and thinks that his seed is very fresh - which, if always the case, might justify some extra expense - compared to a vendor who was selling old seed, but cheaper. Never easy to tell how old / viable seed might be of course ...
I'm not knocking his product I have no doubt that they are fresh. As far as I know he isn't with anyone out that way but himself..I have heard the seeds come from the SF botanical garden though.. I got a huge box of cuttings and things for free from a guy out there last year and I got some information about that guy as well.. All I am saying is if you can find it else where the prices are insane. He almost had me on some magic dogwoods seeds last week but I held my ground..I just can't pay that much.
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

I have just ordered some Nannhorrops seed, thought it was worth a try, anyone else grown it?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Clive60 wrote:I have just ordered some Nannhorrops seed, thought it was worth a try, anyone else grown it?
A fantastic looking palm, never grown them from seed.
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

Beccariophoenix maybe? just bought some seeds of ebay
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Clive60 wrote:I have just ordered some Nannhorrops seed, thought it was worth a try, anyone else grown it?
Very slow growing and needs HEAT. Joel R grew one from seed so now is about 10yrs old. Tried to sell it on here for next to nothing and got know takers (i think)
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Slower than Trachys?
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
Very slow growing and needs HEAT. Joel R grew one from seed so now is about 10yrs old. Tried to sell it on here for next to nothing and got know takers (i think)

I would have took that right off. there expensive to find them of any size over here..not hard to find just hard to afford at a decent size
ash101uk

Post by ash101uk »

I've tried a lot of palm seeds. The ones I like the best and would recommend are Rhopalostylis Sapida and the other Trachycarpus species.

I tried Nannorrhops ritchiana. Very slow, to the point I was not sure if they were not growing.

I would recommend buy small seedlings if you can get hold of them. Some seed take ages to germinate.
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

I am growing both.The nannorrhops is slow,but not too bad,I am growing mine in a greenhouse so the extra heat will be helping.They seem to be available in different colours blue,silver and green.My two are both green(maybe the green variety requires less heat to grow :?: ),which normally ,would be a bit disapointing,because I particulary like blue palms.But it is a different shade of green to any of my other palms,more like an olive or sea green.So I am quite happy with it.I will try and take a picture when I get chance.
My beccariophoenix is growing a bit quicker,but looks a little bit sad and yellow,I'm not quite sure why it's not happy,but I am hoping it will improve when I repot it.
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

Half Hardy wrote:I am growing both.The nannorrhops is slow,but not too bad,I am growing mine in a greenhouse so the extra heat will be helping.They seem to be available in different colours blue,silver and green.My two are both green(maybe the green variety requires less heat to grow :?: ),which normally ,would be a bit disapointing,because I particulary like blue palms.But it is a different shade of green to any of my other palms,more like an olive or sea green.So I am quite happy with it.I will try and take a picture when I get chance.
My beccariophoenix is growing a bit quicker,but looks a little bit sad and yellow,I'm not quite sure why it's not happy,but I am hoping it will improve when I repot it.
how big is your beccariophoenix?
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

JakoMonster wrote:
Half Hardy wrote:I am growing both.The nannorrhops is slow,but not too bad,I am growing mine in a greenhouse so the extra heat will be helping.They seem to be available in different colours blue,silver and green.My two are both green(maybe the green variety requires less heat to grow :?: ),which normally ,would be a bit disapointing,because I particulary like blue palms.But it is a different shade of green to any of my other palms,more like an olive or sea green.So I am quite happy with it.I will try and take a picture when I get chance.
how big is your beccariophoenix?
Not very big unfortunatley,I thinks it's in a 2l pot,last time I looked,the leaves hadn't started deviding.A tip I got off redsquirrel about germinating seeds...they sprout ,when you stop looking at them :) .