What palms to propagate

JakoMonster

Re: What palms to propagate

Post by JakoMonster »

Half Hardy wrote:
JakoMonster wrote:
Half Hardy wrote:I am growing both.The nannorrhops is slow,but not too bad,I am growing mine in a greenhouse so the extra heat will be helping.They seem to be available in different colours blue,silver and green.My two are both green(maybe the green variety requires less heat to grow :?: ),which normally ,would be a bit disapointing,because I particulary like blue palms.But it is a different shade of green to any of my other palms,more like an olive or sea green.So I am quite happy with it.I will try and take a picture when I get chance.
My beccariophoenix is growing a bit quicker,but looks a little bit sad and yellow,I'm not quite sure why it's not happy,but I am hoping it will improve when I repot it.
how big is your beccariophoenix?
Not very big unfortunatley,I thinks it's in a 2l pot,last time I looked,the leaves hadn't started deviding.A tip I got off redsquirrel about germinating seeds...they sprout ,when you stop looking at them :) .
great tip lol
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

miketropic wrote:He almost had me on some magic dogwoods seeds last week but I held my ground..I just can't pay that much.
Important that they are fresh, I believe. I've been looking for a supplier of plants locally for some time ...

You could have a look on GeorgiaVines - perhaps ask them to let you know when they have fresh seed in stock?

But even they charge $10 a seed ...

http://www.georgiavines.com/cart/index. ... ts_id=1742
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

JakoMonster wrote:
Half Hardy wrote:I am growing both.The nannorrhops is slow,but not too bad,I am growing mine in a greenhouse so the extra heat will be helping.They seem to be available in different colours blue,silver and green.My two are both green(maybe the green variety requires less heat to grow :?: ),which normally ,would be a bit disapointing,because I particulary like blue palms.But it is a different shade of green to any of my other palms,more like an olive or sea green.So I am quite happy with it.I will try and take a picture when I get chance.
My beccariophoenix is growing a bit quicker,but looks a little bit sad and yellow,I'm not quite sure why it's not happy,but I am hoping it will improve when I repot it.
Here is the picture....(becc. on the left nann. on the right).I have had a good look at the beccariophoenix,I found signs of scale insects,so that was probably the cause of the sickly looking leaves.The new growth looks healthy.I don't know how long it is going to take before the leaves go pinnate but it will look much more impressive when they do.
The seedlings you can see in the pot,are self sown echium, I will remove them and pot them up,in spring.
Attachments
001.JPG
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

Half Hardy wrote:
JakoMonster wrote:
Here is the picture....(becc. on the left nann. on the right).I have had a good look at the beccariophoenix,I found signs of scale insects,so that was probably the cause of the sickly looking leaves.The new growth looks healthy.I don't know how long it is going to take before the leaves go pinnate but it will look much more impressive when they do.
The seedlings you can see in the pot,are self sown echium, I will remove them and pot them up,in spring.
Looks good Nice palm, yes very impressive when bigger
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Half hardy, what temperature did you germinate the Nannhorrops, I have seen some recommendations of +35c, a bit higher than I can obtain. I guess 25/27c is about the max I can get and how long were yours before sprouting, a couple of months, a year?
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Kristen wrote:
miketropic wrote:He almost had me on some magic dogwoods seeds last week but I held my ground..I just can't pay that much.
Important that they are fresh, I believe. I've been looking for a supplier of plants locally for some time ...

You could have a look on GeorgiaVines - perhaps ask them to let you know when they have fresh seed in stock?

But even they charge $10 a seed ...

http://www.georgiavines.com/cart/index. ... ts_id=1742
thanks for the link..id be more willing to give them 50 bucks for 5 seed than I would strange wonderful things. ill contact them and see what they say.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

So many plants I now want to propagate .
Salvia

What palms to propagate

Post by Salvia »

Hi everyone,
I'm new in this foro, I live in Chile, I grow and collect some Chilean plants and also some other exotic ones that I use in my garden.
I have some fresh seeds (2019) from Juania australis that I would like to sell. They were obtained from a small plantation, they do not come from the Juan Fernandez Islands. Anyone interested?
Please contact me by private message.
Regards
S.
Last edited by Salvia on Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chainsaw kid

What palms to propagate

Post by chainsaw kid »

Hi salvia, I may be interested how much are your seeds.

Regards Jason.
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
Salvia

What palms to propagate

Post by Salvia »

Hi Jason,
I sent you a personal message but it never goes away...