What new plants will you try in 2014?

Mr List

Re: What new plants will you try in 2014?

Post by Mr List »

GoggleboxUK wrote:I got a Japanese climbing fern for my birthday, I'm looking forward to planting that and letting it scramble up the Temple front. Apparently it's root hardy too. It came without a tag so I have to wait to find out the name of it and do a little research but it will be planted out as soon as spring threatens.
always fancied one of those, where did you find one?
Springy

Post by Springy »

Dave Brown wrote:Unfortunately zero budget for next year at this point.
What would you have liked to have tried that is new for you Dave?
harryc

Post by harryc »

Top of my list for 2014 is a shefflera tawaniana, if only Crug did not charge a arm and leg for them.

H
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

A loquat and a strawberry tree for me.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Loquat and strawberry tree for me.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

harryc wrote:Top of my list for 2014 is a shefflera tawaniana, if only Crug did not charge a arm and leg for them.

H
Duchy of Cornwall Nursery sells them for £15 each. They also often have money off coupons - % off or amounts off a certain spend, so put your email on their list and wait for an offer.
harryc

Post by harryc »

Blairs wrote:
harryc wrote:Top of my list for 2014 is a shefflera tawaniana, if only Crug did not charge a arm and leg for them.

H
Duchy of Cornwall Nursery sells them for £15 each. They also often have money off coupons - % off or amounts off a certain spend, so put your email on their list and wait for an offer.
Cheers for that buddy will do pronto :D :D

H
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Am also going to try Loquat in 2014. I have 6 seedlings in a coldframe now.
kata

Post by kata »

Oh you have, have you Blairs.. :lol:

Good luck!

icon_cheers
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

H
Might be me as well since the one I have is def. on the decline...
pdid

Post by pdid »

Blairs wrote:

H
Duchy sell Rhododendrifolia not Taiwaniana. If you want a taiwaniana for a reasonable price contact Mark Fillan in the Spring, he now has a web site at http://www.tuckermarshplants.co.uk/plants.php I had a taiwaniana from him last year for £7.50 but lost it due to root rot. Don't overpot when small!

One thing I will say about Crug is that although you do pay a premium for their plants, you do get larger specimens.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

pdid wrote: Duchy sell Rhododendrifolia not Taiwaniana. If you want a taiwaniana for a reasonable price contact Mark Fillan in the Spring, he now has a web site at http://www.tuckermarshplants.co.uk/plants.php I had a taiwaniana from him last year for £7.50 but lost it due to root rot. Don't overpot when small!

One thing I will say about Crug is that although you do pay a premium for their plants, you do get larger specimens.
Whoops - yes Duchy are defo S.rhododendrifolia (syn impressa) and not S.taiwanna.
kevineden

Post by kevineden »

i might try a yucca rostrata and maybe a second try @ Brahea armata
doncasterpalmguy123

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

Doesn't ooze with exoticness but i shall be growing candytuft flowers to brighten the place up among the palms and cordyline. On the other end of the scale i really want to grow a Cycas revoluta. Any tips?
parkeey

Post by parkeey »

i couldn't wait to next year i recently bought a yucca rostrata , and a very small Taiwaniana and a fatsia polycarpa, next year ive ordered lots different ricinus caster beans, red sun flowers, Amaranthus .I hope to buy a washingtonia robusta next year, but i think i am totally out of space!

i need a bigger garden!! its going be packed soild with huge tropical leaves of all shapes and sizes. :D