What new plants will you try in 2014?

Rick1965

Re: What new plants will you try in 2014?

Post by Rick1965 »

I have been very impressed with a Grevillea I bought a couple of years ago so will try some others this year.
pdid

Post by pdid »

PaulPlants wrote:I've received all of my carnivorous plants what I plan to plant as a verticle bog garden picture! I'm insane, I know, but normal people just ain't interesting!

I might try some bromeliads this year too... This hobby can be so damn expensive!
I look forward to that, it'll be a challenge retaining moisture and supporting the weight of the moisture. Yeah it's a pretty bonkers idea icon_thumleft
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Hopefully I'm going to get a D Youngeai this year :D
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

PaulPlants wrote:I've received all of my carnivorous plants what I plan to plant as a verticle bog garden picture! I'm insane, I know, but normal people just ain't interesting!

I might try some bromeliads this year too... This hobby can be so damn expensive!
Hi Paul.

Take care of the watering if you have sarracenia's, they don't like out tap water. :ahhh!:
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

I will probably get a Yucca Filifera but not sure where to source from yet. I'll probably visit Pan Global Plants which has become an annual event for me and come away with something.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

if this weather keeps up (-22c last night ) ill have to replace the whole garden. butia, green med and waggy all spear pulled today..I have never seen a worse winter..guess those made room for some new stuff
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Sorry to hear about your plants in that severe cold. Not much you can do to protect them against that low temp.
Best to look forward to treating yourself to some new ones!
Repeat the mantra "Less food - more plants!" hahaha! :lol:
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

miketropic wrote:if this weather keeps up (-22c last night ) ill have to replace the whole garden. butia, green med and waggy all spear pulled today..I have never seen a worse winter..guess those made room for some new stuff
Remind me, where are all your plants at the moment? You have moved so are they all outside in -22 or are they inside?
brendan

Post by brendan »

Andy Martin wrote:I will probably get a Yucca Filifera but not sure where to source from yet. I'll probably visit Pan Global Plants which has become an annual event for me and come away with something.
Nigel sells them http://www.hardy-palms.co.uk/product.as ... product=52
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
miketropic wrote:if this weather keeps up (-22c last night ) ill have to replace the whole garden. butia, green med and waggy all spear pulled today..I have never seen a worse winter..guess those made room for some new stuff
Remind me, where are all your plants at the moment? You have moved so are they all outside in -22 or are they inside?
a friend had a guest house he was not using and said I could store my plants in there. it was not heated but it was inside. apparently when its this cold outside is really does not matter if its indoors or not if there is no heat. tubers popped like boiled eggs and palms spear pulled. all but the waggy was marginal here anyway so that is the only one I will replace..worst winter since I have been alive
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

That sounds awful Mike :(

I've seen scene's with lakes encrusted with ice, like it's in the Arctic circle, unbelievable scenes, but not great outcome!
Mowgley

Post by Mowgley »

Sorry to hear about all your loses miketropic.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

just motivation to fill there gaps with new stuff and see how hardy they are. I will rebound
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Plants that are "safe" as i am rebuilding the garden to a more stable one.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

miketropic wrote:worst winter since I have been alive
Good to get that out of the way before moving into you new home and establishing a great garden. Hopefully you have 20-50 years before the next Bad'un icon_thumleft