The Great British Garden Revival.

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: The Great British Garden Revival.

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

BRILLIANT! (and I've been to every place in that programme!) Cant wait for summer!
Springy

Post by Springy »

Yes it was good and thankfully it didn't give too many secrets away!
I love having different and unusual plants in my garden and as soon as I start finding things that I grow turning up in garden centres, then I feel that I need to find something different! I know this will happen with time but for now at least i like to stay a couple of steps in front.
A good programme for people starting out though, good ideas and inspiration! icon_cheers
Last edited by Springy on Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

It wasn't just good...it was the only night no wife of the exotic gardener was allowed to watch Coronation street icon_salut
Mowgley

Post by Mowgley »

I must visit will giles garden this year :D .
As a beginner like me there are some good ideas as you say springy.
Right off to look for some T Rex and gunnera :D
The lawn bit in the first half was alittle OCD for me, it's grass :shock:
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

It was good but to be honest I was kinda hoping there would be more palms on there. And I didnt realise tropical gardening is so untrendy right now either?
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

I would of ditched the part before on the lawns (boring) and go for a one hour episode.
phoenix

Post by phoenix »

I was disappointed that the presenter insisted on using "common names" and pretty spurious ones at that, and daft things like putting a Trachycarpus in a pot barely big enough to take its roots was just asking for trouble. Some nice shots of plants tho
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Ive taped it, so ill FF the lawn part then icon_thumleft
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Lawns, big yawn!
Tropicals, yeaayy!!
doncasterpalmguy123

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

bordersboy wrote:It was good but to be honest I was kinda hoping there would be more palms on there. And I didnt realise tropical gardening is so untrendy right now either?
Its on the rebound thanks to people like us, however back when plant hunters (mainly british might i add :lol: ) was searching the globe in the 1800's and bringing plants back to the uk when they did everyone wanted the plants as well. That was also a time when everyone loved gardening, the better the garden the better your social status, people would travel miles and pay a lot of money in order to top their neighbours plant collection. :lol:

I am deffo getting a gunner now, can't believe I've not heard of them before, wonderful big plants! :D
Springy

Post by Springy »

Mowgley wrote:I must visit will giles garden this year :D .
As a beginner like me there are some good ideas as you say springy.
Right off to look for some T Rex and gunnera :D
The lawn bit in the first half was alittle OCD for me, it's grass :shock:
Shame you're not closer, I've got gunnera and T. Rex to remove this year to make room for other things!
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

what are the plants a little like hosta that were in the guess the hardy plants?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

bordersboy wrote:It was good but to be honest I was kinda hoping there would be more palms on there. And I didnt realise tropical gardening is so untrendy right now either?
I think gardening overall is untrendy. :(
flounder

Post by flounder »

Panama Pete wrote:what are the plants a little like hosta that were in the guess the hardy plants?
I think you'll find it was hosta.
Springy

Post by Springy »

fern Rob wrote:
I think gardening overall is untrendy. :(
I think you have a point there Rob. I get really enthusiastic when talking about gardening and my garden. Sometimes I feel like I'm setting myself up for a real p!ss taking comment when opening up about what my hobby is. I guess that is why I love this site so much as everyone has the same enthusiasm and interest!