The Great British Garden Revival.

Alexander

Re: The Great British Garden Revival.

Post by Alexander »

And for this year more concrete in the Dutch garden if you want to be trendy. But why they often use gray paving in a climate where you get often gray weather, well at least during the colder months.

Maybe it has something to do with Dutch Calvinism...

www.vandenbroekbestratingen.nl/info/82/ ... -2014.html

Alexander
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Dutch Calvinism, I had one of them when I was a lad, but the wheels fell off. :lol: I think we make a lot of difficulties for ourselves by not picking the correct style of garden for the area in which we live. When I moved to the coast 7 1/2 years ago It was my intention to build a Japanese garden , however when I realised that temperatures in the winter were quite mild here I went for something more exotic. :roll: It would have been far easier If I had stuck with the Japanese theme. But hey where's the fun in that. :lol:

I thought the gardening programs were very good although not all of it were icon_thumright to my taste. I particularly liked Will's garden in Norfolk and realized I need a few more Bananas in mine. I must also need to build a greenhouse when I have finished remodeling the house.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

I have never heard of a car called Dutch Calvinism.

Funny.

Alexander
kiarancactus

Post by kiarancactus »

I enjoyed the program, Abbotsbury looked great and so too did the other gardens, but I always find James Wong a bit irritating, especially when he refers to plants as 'this little guy', but it's always good to see people encouraging exotic gardening so I praise him for that at least :D Anyone else skip the Sarah Raven lawn nonsense? :lol:
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Yes, the lawn bit was just silly, who wants to plant b....... clover after spending decades trying to get rid of it!!
James Wong just talks too much, more garden, less talk would be good!!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I am a lawn-ist with no intention of replacing it with anything else. I don't irrigate so the clover and yarrow are the only bits that are green in a dry summer. I thought that bit was quite interersting.

The Tropical Garden bit by James Wong is IMHO the best UK Exotic Gardening programme I have seen. He has an enthusiasm for exotics and that comes across. What is needed, and this it did quite well, is to portray the Exotics 'big picture', showing the gardens that can be achieved, and saying you can grow much of this easily. Once the spark is planted in someone's mind, then follow up's mention Latin Names.

I guarantee having a programme all Horticulturally correct, full of Latin Names will turn off all those not already into Horticulture. I am a rebel, always have been, and that is why I grow exotics. The growing of exotics in a way is rebelling against all those who say it can't be done.

Great programme icon_thumright

I only came across James Wong on Twitter a few months back, and have been following him on there, but having seen him in action on The Great British Garden Revival, he is exactly what we need, and I'm going to tell him so, right now icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Clive60 »

James Wong annoyed me too with the constant use of 'guys' but most young modern presenters use it for all wildlife as well. Sadly the program slipped into the current trend of having to have mini competitions.
it's the only one out of the series I've watched.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Clive60 wrote:James Wong annoyed me too with the constant use of 'guys' but most young modern presenters use it for all wildlife as well. Sadly the program slipped into the current trend of having to have mini competitions.
it's the only one out of the series I've watched.
I've always said "Hi" and "Guys" so didn't even notice it.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

James has retweeted my tweet. I added a pic of my Musa bajoo flowers of 11/01/2014
Attachments
2014-01-13 BotanyGeek retweet.JPG
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Alexander »

Dave Brown wrote:I am a lawn-ist with no intention of replacing it with anything else. I don't irrigate so the clover and yarrow are the only bits that are green in a dry summer. I thought that bit was quite interersting.

The Tropical Garden bit by James Wong is IMHO the best UK Exotic Gardening programme I have seen. He has an enthusiasm for exotics and that comes across. What is needed, and this it did quite well, is to portray the Exotics 'big picture', showing the gardens that can be achieved, and saying you can grow much of this easily. Once the spark is planted in someone's mind, then follow up's mention Latin Names.

I guarantee having a programme all Horticulturally correct, full of Latin Names will turn off all those not already into Horticulture. I am a rebel, always have been, and that is why I grow exotics. The growing of exotics in a way is rebelling against all those who say it can't be done.

Great programme icon_thumright

I only came across James Wong on Twitter a few months back, and have been following him on there, but having seen him in action on The Great British Garden Revival, he is exactly what we need, and I'm going to tell him so, right now icon_thumright
Its good to use the latin names, if possible they could also add the common name. And even those new into horticulture should learn how they can, thanks to that specific latin name, find the plant they have seen in a programme or somewhere else. For example when they google then Hydrangea aborescens Annabelle they will get a better result then just googling Hydrange. Well in Dutch they are called hortensia. Well just for an example. Whatever its a common plant or an exclusive coldhardy palm. If you use the right way to find it, you eventually will. And they will also end up on some or another gardenforum like this one for more information.

Well in the ancient past you had to stick mostely to the better gardenbooks...

Alexander
Last edited by Alexander on Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I actually like the garden programs where they put the name on the screen, If there is anything I fancy I can then pause the program and write the name down. But then I am Dyslexic. :lol:
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Dave, I was refering to his use of 'guys' to plants, thus humanising them as many wildlife presenters do with animals and insects etc. It just annoys me personally. :)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Clive60 wrote:Dave, I was refering to his use of 'guys' to plants, thus humanising them as many wildlife presenters do with animals and insects etc. It just annoys me personally. :)
Still don't see it as a problem as I give my plants names so refer to them by name, and in the past that has annoyed people immensely :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Bummer missed it....hopefully i can get it on catch up.....what day and time was it on ?
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
doncasterpalmguy123

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

Clive60 wrote:Dave, I was refering to his use of 'guys' to plants, thus humanising them as many wildlife presenters do with animals and insects etc. It just annoys me personally. :)
Nothing wrong with humanising them, if we call animals names why not plants, they're alive too :D :lol: :lol: