Argos £29 greenhouse with pics

cordyman

Argos £29 greenhouse with pics

Post by cordyman »

Bought a smaller greenhouse this year, less footprint outside the kitchen, not bad quality for £29.99, although missed out on a similar one from wilkos for £20

spare straw and already endorsed by the cat

essential duct taping of the key joints to strengthen frame under high winds

Used 4 parasol weight plates to hold the base down

Just needs the shelves filling up now, ziptying black plastic crates to the shelves so pots won't fly off under high wind shakage!

pdid

Re: Argos £29 greenhouse with pics

Post by pdid »

Good luck, but if you get proper high winds the duck tape wont be worth a toss. I picked up a proper 8x6 second hand one ebay for £52 having chewed through 3 of these at various sizes.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

pdid wrote:Good luck, but if you get proper high winds the duck tape wont be worth a toss. I picked up a proper 8x6 second hand one ebay for £52 having chewed through 3 of these at various sizes.

the bigger version never moved last 3 years, think the fences offer a lot of wind protection down the side of the house too icon_thumleft
pdid

Post by pdid »

cordyman wrote:
pdid wrote:Good luck, but if you get proper high winds the duck tape wont be worth a toss. I picked up a proper 8x6 second hand one ebay for £52 having chewed through 3 of these at various sizes.

the bigger version never moved last 3 years, think the fences offer a lot of wind protection down the side of the house too icon_thumleft
Yeah you're a little more inland than me. Where I am there is a long wide straight road which goes from the end of my street to pretty much the promenade and acts as a wind funnel.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

cordyman wrote:

I was going to say that Cordy, looks nice and snug there.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

How do they stand against snow?
kevineden

Post by kevineden »

clear the snow from the roof or the poles just buckle and collapse icon_thumleft
daftbanana

Post by daftbanana »

All the best with that, mine didn't last 5 minutes. High winds and it will blow away or buckle and fall apart unless you've got it in a very sheltered position.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

quite sloped roofs so snow never been much of an issue, heres MK1 at 0.50 seconds, 3 years without even budging, all about weighing the base down with something heavy, then duct taping joints so top can't blow clean off.

0.50 ...
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

If it can get windy in your garden then don't buy one of these as more than likely it'll collapse. Also zips can break and poles buckle.
pdid

Post by pdid »

And the other problem is when it is windy you are constantly watching and praying that it doesn't blow away, in the process destroying whatever it was you were protecting inside!
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

I had one of these, and snow, wind and the poles bending was not a problem. The bit you lift of the zip did break on mine and I had to manually zip it up and down but was not a problem. Apart from the condensation, lack of ventilation and their ugliness I think they are great, esp just to keep plants dry.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Blairs wrote:I had one of these, and snow, wind and the poles bending was not a problem. The bit you lift of the zip did break on mine and I had to manually zip it up and down but was not a problem. Apart from the condensation, lack of ventilation and their ugliness I think they are great, esp just to keep plants dry.
Keeping plants dry seems to be the key to stop most plant deaths in winter.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Mine lasted 2 months. Was great nov-dec with just a broken zip to contend with.
Then the snow bought the whole lot down and I now use the cover over my patio set.

The plastic joints were useless and the poles as weak as kittens.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

I've had mine for almost 3 years and it's in good shape, the plastic cover has some tear and is not as clear as it used to be though.

It's weighed down with 2 heavy blocks of concrete.