storm warning north sea

eddie

storm warning north sea

Post by eddie »

I would think twice if you're planning to take the dfds-ferry from Port of Tyne to IJmuiden next thursday...
1012201334858.gif
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
pdid

Re: storm warning north sea

Post by pdid »

Hmmm, I'm going Hull to Rotterdam on Thursday evening, could be interesting :shock:
eddie

Post by eddie »

No matter what kind of weather we have, the ferry goes. Maybe a few motion sickness pills would be advicable :)
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

pdid wrote:Hmmm, I'm going Hull to Rotterdam on Thursday evening, could be interesting :shock:
Bootlegging again................ :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

This is what the met office is showing on the pressure map
Attachments
2013-12-05 Pressure map.JPG
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
eddie

Post by eddie »

Our met office predicts those L's are moving somewhat more south in the early evening, causing storm at our coastline. There is a spring tide at the same time, wich could mean a bit of flooding at our north west islands.

We'll see what happens, it's going to be windy that's for sure. Last time I tied the leaves together, wich did some good at preventing the wind totally trashing my plants.

For friday snow is forecasted here..... :evil:
The north sea is still relatively warm, so if there's snow it will not be here to stay I presume

icon_salut
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

Dave Brown wrote:This is what the met office is showing on the pressure map
Low in the north sea and a high in the atlantic? Not good!!!!
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Reminds me a bit of 1954, not great news because that was the year of the very large storm surges which bought misery to the east coast. I suggest there could be a storm surge, lets hope the sea isn't at high tide.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

stephenprudence wrote: I suggest there could be a storm surge, lets hope the sea isn't at high tide.
Eddie has already said it is a spring tide. At least I'm 13m asl.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Just Checked Port of London Authority Tide Times for the Thames and high tide at Margate (Mouth of the Thames) is at 13:27 on 5th and is the highest tide in December @ 4.95m. Low tide is at 19:35.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

The Met-office are now warning of potential for surges during high tides, that's something I haven't seen for a few years. It's easy to cry wolf in these situations, but those alive in 1954 can surely attest to the misery a storm surge can bring.

Here's a link to the chief forecasters assessment, on the right of the general warning.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weat ... 1386201600
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Wind gusts up to 120/130 km per hour along the coastal parts and the islands, combinated with high tide. The islands could reach average winds from 11 bft again. The past has shown lots of trouble with high windspeeds and high tide, so hopefully the forecast is a bit overrated and not underrated like the last storm.

Denmark and specially northern Germany going to see high wind speeds as well, the germans think even about higher wind speeds then the dutch weather service.
stephenprudence

Yes, this is looking serious now, even deadly serious potentially for Holland, Germany and Denmark, there could be a loss of life here, however I am optimistic that this will not be the case as all countries in question are taking this very seriously, and have started efforts to reduce the impact this storm will make. Perhaps also though, not just winds, and flooding, but snow could affect some parts of the NW Europe tomorrow and overnight tomorrow.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Not looking good for me in north Wales,at 9.30 Thursday morning. Second highest tide of the year, westerly winds, low pressure and I'm on the waters edge, only 5 ft above high tide. :ahhh!: In this situation the wind blows the water up the estuary and comes over the road. If I need to go out, it will have to be early or I shall have to leave it till later. Thats if I haven't been swept away. :roll: :lol: icon_thumright
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

jungle jas wrote:... only 5 ft above high tide. :ahhh!: ...
A big storm surge can add 2 metres to the expected high tide level . . . better get some sandbags ready, and move the carpets upstairs!