Looking to buy another palm

jungle jas

Re: Looking to buy another palm

Post by jungle jas »

Derrick, where you live you should have a chance with any of the following. My favorite Jubaea Chilensis, but only if you are young as they are very slow growing and expensive. Butia Eriospatha one of the fastest growing palms I have and stands the wet better than other Butias. If I can grow it in Snowdonia you should have no trouble. Then of course Waggies, bomb and windproof. icon_thumright If you can't find what you are looking for in the UK try the shop Palmen 3103 eBay. A German called Hans Peter who sells from Spain, even after postage is usually cheaper than buying in the UK. I can recommend him and I know others have purchased from him as well.
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

derrick wrote:Looking it up Chris thanks .I ready have a fortunei .I do like Butia something for about 150. Not a little tiny palm something hardyish ?
Although I agree with Chris, a princeps hybrid would be very nice,you can't get large ones yet.A butia should really do well in your location.You could also look at Butia eriospatha and Jubaea.You do realise it's inevitable that if you buy one more,you will become hooked and end up buying all of them :) .You will easily get a nice size butia odorata for £150.
real_ale

Post by real_ale »

here's a link for a few palms and their hardiness.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/470/
Last edited by real_ale on Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Take a trip up to the Palm Centre, they had some fantastic Butia recently and lots of Waggies all at great prices too!
derrick

Post by derrick »

I think it's two palms now maybe a small Trachycarpus princeps. Do they keep the white under the leaves looks nice . Also looking for a larger Butia but don't no which yet . Palm addict already help ?
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

Derrick,give Nigel a ring or pm on here,go see what hes got and take the biggest car you can lay your hands on as hes so good to deal with,you will probably get one twice as big as expected for same money.i think he stocks georges waggies from palmhouse too,or did at one point so take plenty of spondoonoes too,it speaks volumes icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

derrick wrote:I think it's two palms now maybe a small Trachycarpus princeps. Do they keep the white under the leaves looks nice . Also looking for a larger Butia but don't no which yet . Palm addict already help ?

I would get the Prineps hybrid over a regular princeps. MUCH faster growing and they don't suffer the same flaw of dieing off easily. I have 10 hybrids and zero loss of roots and spears. I've had I think 12 princeps and only 5 look decent now.
derrick

Post by derrick »

Thanks red. I will give Nigella a ring the weekend .Thanks kris about the princep Hybrid info .
derrick

Post by derrick »

Where can I get a Butia Eriospatha from and what size is best and price ?
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Listen to me, the Palm Centre is a short drive for you, take a trip and you can see exactly which plants you want and take them with you or have them delivered and the prices on Butia Odorata and Waggies are as good as anywhere! Well anywhere other than Peter Jenkins place who has the best Waggies in the UK!
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Who's peter Jenkin's?.
derrick

Post by derrick »

Their should be lots of new palm stocks in for spring .Some have some great discounts on them .Thanks for that everyone.
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

Who's Peter Jenkins?
derrick wrote:Thanks red. I will give Nigella a ring the weekend .Thanks kris about the princep Hybrid info .
More interestingly who's Nigella :lol:
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

karl66 wrote:Who's peter Jenkin's?.

Call yourself a Palm enthusiast!