New Leeds City Palm Planting

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

New Leeds City Palm Planting

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I noticed today that two decent sized, presumeably Britsh Grown CIDPs (had some battered and yellowy fronds) have been planted at Mandela Gardens, Leeds (Millenium Square). I think they had literally been planted today as the gardeners were still busy with the bedding that surrounded them. Unusual to see half hardy palms planted at this time of year but VERY nice to see some CIPDs planted, first since around 2009 to my knowledge in Leeds. :D
Rob S

Re: New Leeds City Palm Planting

Post by Rob S »

I have to say i've never heard of anything so ridiculous in my life, surely doomed to failure very quickly, wouldn't have been so bad in early Spring but planting out Phoenix canariensis_CIDP's in mid-Winter in Yorkshire can only be the work of madmen or indeed the Council!
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Agree the worst time of year for planting but it is a mild spot as it's in the centre of the city and Olive Trees and Melianthus major do well there. Fingers crossed they survive.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Good on the council. Winter is a bit odd to plant CIPD but good on them trying. Let's see what happens to them by spring as Leeds is not the driest of towns.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Blairs wrote:Good on the council. Winter is a bit odd to plant CIPD but good on them trying. Let's see what happens to them by spring as Leeds is not the driest of towns.

Leeds IS one of the driest cities. Drier than Rome and Dallas at 600mm per year. Surprising I know!
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
Blairs wrote:Good on the council. Winter is a bit odd to plant CIPD but good on them trying. Let's see what happens to them by spring as Leeds is not the driest of towns.

Leeds IS one of the driest cities. Drier than Rome and Dallas at 600mm per year. Surprising I know!
Really? My manager lives in Leeds (scarcroft?) and is always moaning at how windy and wet it is! He is Australian I suppose.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Sounds like a futile waste of money to me Kris, what happened to the ones planted in 2009? As if we can't guess. :roll: I would like to say something encouraging but I Can't. Just a waste of someone elses hard earnt money yet again. icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Wonder if the timing is more to do with the name of the place 'Mandela Gardens' Making it look good at this time.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Dave Brown wrote:Wonder if the timing is more to do with the name of the place 'Mandela Gardens' Making it look good at this time.

Timing is right for changing the bedding to Primroses which they have done (along with the two palms)

Nelson Mandela did visit Leeds to open the gardens. Lots of flowers have been left here since his death.

jungle jas wrote:Sounds like a futile waste of money to me Kris, what happened to the ones planted in 2009? As if we can't guess. :roll: I would like to say something encouraging but I Can't. Just a waste of someone elses hard earnt money yet again. icon_thumright
. We had winter 2010 :( Since then I haven't seen any palms planted others than trachys so it's nice to see other palms been tried again. icon_thumleft Just wish they had planted them in spring to establish.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Blairs wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:

Really? My manager lives in Leeds (scarcroft?) and is always moaning at how windy and wet it is! He is Australian I suppose.

Yep, bet you cant find 5 UK Cities that are drier. (probably)
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Yorkshire Kris wrote: Yep, bet you cant find 5 UK Cities that are drier. (probably)
A guess would be cities east of Leeds geographically as rain fall declines the further east one goes. So London, Peterborough, Hull?, Norwich and Ely.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

well Im in the 'wet' west and I average 680mm per year.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

stephenprudence wrote:well Im in the 'wet' west and I average 680mm per year.
Edinburgh is just about further west than Liverpool/Wirral and they get around 680mm per year, so your rainfall is on average. Glasgow gets over 1200mm per year an dis only 37 miles from Edinburgh. I know Dalness in The West Highlands get over 3300mm per year, which is above the criteria for a rainforest.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

35 miles east of Central London I get LTA 570mm, but so far in 2013 I've had 411.1mm
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Clive60 »

Long term, a couple of good size Waggies would have been better.