Chamaedorea Radicalis

DaveP

Re: Chamaedorea Radicalis

Post by DaveP »

The problem with microspadix is that it is a martyr to slugs and snails. The leaves of radicalis are very tough and virtually mollusc resistant. I've grown several radicalis outside here for a good 15 years or so and they withstood our 'killer frosts' of 2009/10 (down to -6.4C here) without incurring any damage whatsoever. Ripening berries during that winter continued to develop and I've got several pots of seedlings from that batch ready to plant out this coming spring.
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

Yes i've heard slugs and snails like them. We can get down to -15c here so probably a waste of time long term in the ground. but might get a few years grown in a pot and tucked up against the house during winter.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I was wondering about these microspadix too, a couple have been sat in pots for 18 months with the intention of planting them under the canopy of trees I have here in semi-shade. One thing and another they never got planted out this year. I wasn't sure of the lowest temperature they could take, but before and since the bad years of 08, 09 and 2010, temperatures have generally got no lower than -8.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
marcel

Post by marcel »

I also have one Ch.microspadix beside the Ch.radicalis under canopy and it also seems to be
very tough against frost. No damage so far at -5/-6 C°.
But I don't think it can take lower temperatures than that. It just might be the border line.

Marcel
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

i had a Microspadix but one of my family members fell over and completely flattened it and hurt themselves in the process :lol: but the trunk was snapped :(
marcel

Post by marcel »

I will still have to protect them for the colder days and prolonged freezes.
It is a kind of a game bringing them through winter without killig it in my climate.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I don't mind protecting in the Winter Marcel, it's worth it to get them through. I could always try planting one out and pot plunge the other, bringing it into the greenhouse over Winter. Depends how I feel next Spring :D How long you had yours in the ground?

Did you have any new growth Jako???

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

it was pushing out new spear (it go through the winter fine with no protection) but then the poor thing got crushed :cry:
marcel

Post by marcel »

It has been in the ground since spring this year, together with three radicalis.

Marcel
Attachments
DSC07832 neu.jpg