A thank you to Dave Brown.

doncasterpalmguy123

A thank you to Dave Brown.

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

Hi there Dave. I would just like to say thanks for being a palm enthusiast. If you weren't i would not be either. It all started about this time in 2011 when i accidentally stumbled across one of your videos. I thought pffft palm trees in the snow, this can't be true, How can palms grow in the UK? Anyway i watched through most of your videos and started doing research. I was already a keen gardener so the enlightenment that palms could be grown in the UK astonished me.
Before your videos i couldn't tell the difference between a palm and a cordyline and i thought banana plants were actual trees! Anyway may 2012 was the start of my palm growing passion when went to my local b&q just looking for any palm i could lay my hands on. I suppose i was driven by the notion of seeing palms in the snow in my garden like in your videos! I found a bunch of small Phoenix canariensis_CIDP'S and with no hesitation i bought one.
Now over a year since my first purchase i also have a small Chamaerops Humilis, a Cordyline Australis (Red star), Five seed grown washingtonia robusta's, 1 newly germinated Juabea Chilensis and a newly germinated Trachycarpus Fortunei.
I thought it was time i gave thanks as without your videos i would still be growing pathetic carrots in the summer. I have already planned an exotic garden for when I'm older and i can't wait for the future. Heres to many more exotic plants to hopefully come my way and of course to you Dave, it wouldn't have been possible for me without you!
I only wish is that you uploaded more videos so i can drule over your palms :lol:

Regards, Dan T.
call

Re: A thank you to Dave Brown.

Post by call »

Make that two of us...
This website has kindled my passion for growing climatically challenged plants and has given me loads of ideas and useful tips and tricks on growing exotics, a huge salute to you Dave icon_salut
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Agree with what your both saying, if i had not joined HTUK my garden wouldn't look as Lush as it is, its my passion, my piece of mind and my escape from life icon_thumleft Thanks Dave and all you tropical-ites :mrgreen:

Doncasterpalmguy, get yourself to B&Q next week, I got a lovely double trunked Trachycarpus (3/4ft) this time last year for £10 a few frost damaged bottom leave's which i cut off and it really took off over summer, im keeping an eye on the weather, if it gets too bad ill probably fleece it for its first winter...
Last edited by Deedee on Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

I too have reason to thank dave for this site. A long time ago after seeing a program on the TV about some one who turned his garden into a tropical jungle, I was inspired to try and follow suite. Then I stumbled onto this site. My life has changed quite a bit since those days but my desire to have a tropical garden hasn't. Over the years I have spent a lot of money on tropical plants and lost most of them through the winters that followed. But because of the information gained from this site I have made progress. I now have a garden that looks tropical in the spring and summer. I am also able to buy plants, cultivate them, plant them where they grow at their best and then protect them using various methods, all due to the information from this site and others. If it was your intention to start a revolution in the garden world, I believe you have succeeded. Nevertheless thank you and well done Dave, you will go down in history. icon_salut
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Thanks Dan and Callum, blush :oops: Glad to know that the videos have inspired you to grow exotic plants, but it is your skill and determination that enables you to succeed icon_salut

I really must update the videos as has been 4 years since the Washingtonia one was published.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Panama Pete »

I know you mentioned the growing idea to sell plants Dave, but I would look at publishing a book, icon_study I bet its crossed your mind. You must have most of the information hidden away on here. I know its not easy but you have the time and are well known now, as well as respected.

icon_thumleft
doncasterpalmguy123

Well if it wasnt for your videos i wouldnt hae had the chance to suceed with my palms :-D ooh woul love to see how your washie is doing. I bet its quite a bit bigger now!
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I think the forum expanded my interest in exotic plants.

icon_thumleft
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I must say this site has helped me to transform my garden over the last few years, always a mine of information from its members. A must for people wanting to grow something out of the ordinary. A big thank you to Dave for taking the time and trouble with this forum. icon_thumright
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

I was inspired by this site too, tropicals are now a big part of my life.

I enquired about a cordy which didnt look too healthy, and about some washys and CIDPs which carked it a few years back. Getting the advise to buy some trachys started the snowball rolling!
eddie

Post by eddie »

A big help & inspiration this site & forum is.

Without this site I would probaly have given up growing exotics here in cold and wet Holland

icon_thumleft
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
kevineden

Post by kevineden »

htuk gave me a second wind after dec 2010 icon_salut
doncasterpalmguy123

Deedee wrote:Agree with what your both saying, if i had not joined HTUK my garden wouldn't look as Lush as it is, its my passion, my piece of mind and my escape from life icon_thumleft Thanks Dave and all you tropical-ites :mrgreen:

Doncasterpalmguy, get yourself to B&Q next week, I got a lovely double trunked Trachycarpus (3/4ft) this time last year for £10 a few frost damaged bottom leave's which i cut off and it really took off over summer, im keeping an eye on the weather, if it gets too bad ill probably fleece it for its first winter...
Thanks for the information deeded, i suppose the garden centres don't look after them like we do, so if theres any left they'll be at knock off prices with em thinking they're dead or dying when they just need some tlc. :-D icon_salut
flounder

Post by flounder »

I'll say cheers Dave as well. It's your fault I've spent hundreds on plants over the last few years :lol: :wink:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

flounder wrote:I'll say cheers Dave as well. It's your fault I've spent hundreds on plants over the last few years :lol: :wink:
Same :lol: