Plants for THIS year.

Rabbie
Posts: 513
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: N Ireland

Re: Plants for THIS year.

Post by Rabbie » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:27 pm

Not much on the new plant list, mostly just dividing, growing on seedlings and moving things about.

miketropic

Re: Plants for THIS year.

Post by miketropic » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:33 pm

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
miketropic wrote:..a blank canvas is very hard for me to picture finished so I am trying to draw it out first.
Download some garden design software. A decent package should allow you to do a 3D walkthru of your design so you can get a feel for it.

I like the idea..but I have gone with a bit of a cheaper route...paper and color pencils :lol: ..A program would make it much easier though

Mixed moso

Re: Plants for THIS year.

Post by Mixed moso » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:51 pm

I got a lot of plants for Christmas (my Christmas list was entirely in Latin) so I'm trying not to buy any more until I've planted them all out. Seeds don't count, of course. I've got about 15 lots of bananas in the propagator. Sikkimensis, cheesmanii, and Ensete glaucum started to germinate in about 3 weeks. I'm also growing some arisaemas, Embothryium cocchineum 'Norquinco Valley', and Podocarpus macrophyllum. No sign of life from Clematis napaulensis or Osmanthus fragrans yet. When is the best time to sow Ricinus?

kiarancactus

Re: Plants for THIS year.

Post by kiarancactus » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:48 pm

Got some plants in mind, no clue where to put them but that's unimportant! Zaluzianskya capensis looks like a fun one to try, Agave montana, Aloe striatula, maybe Agave havardiana. Also got some more Eucomis bulbs on order, hoping to get hold of Eucomis Pole-evansii, and if all goes well I'll hopefully get myself a Tetrapanax rex! Blechnum Magellanicum might be worth a try too! :D

Blairs

Re: Plants for THIS year.

Post by Blairs » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:19 pm

@kiarancactus - you have to get Agave gentryi 'Jaws'. it is hardier than the ones you mentioned.

kiarancactus

Re: Plants for THIS year.

Post by kiarancactus » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:29 pm

Blairs wrote:@kiarancactus - you have to get Agave gentryi 'Jaws'. it is hardier than the ones you mentioned.
Woah that is going straight on the list :D, it certainly looks vicious! Much appreciated icon_thumleft

RozDevon

Re: Plants for THIS year.

Post by RozDevon » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:55 pm

Prowling round the nurseries today - browsing in the fern section, spotted one larger than the others which had a little 4" trunk and long hard leaves. Looked suspiciously like tree fern leaves, so I thought I'd have it as it was only £4.75. The label just said "fern" or so I thought! It was the only one there as all the others were little mixed ferns.
Got it home and potted it up in a tall terracotta pot and had a good look at the label, one of those plastic ones on a spike, and guess what? It said Dicksonia Antarctica!!!! Well, blow me down! So I've got a new tree fern, hurrah!! Result!

Prowling round another nursery, looking in the phormium section and there was a little lonely trachycarpus fortunei.
26" high from top of pot to top of leaves. Ten good leaves and the centre spear seems firm and healthy. Seemed a shame to leave it there on its own so its come home with me, cost £14.95.
Really pleased, nothing like new babies to nurture, love it.

What combination of composts would you experts recommend to pot the Trachycarpus up in to grow it on for a while?

dino

Re: Plants for THIS year.

Post by dino » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:17 pm

Just picked up a Yucca Gloriosa 'Bright Star'. Been after one for a while and 50% off was all the incentive I needed icon_cheers

Kristen

Re: Plants for THIS year.

Post by Kristen » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:56 pm

Mixed moso wrote:my Christmas list was entirely in Latin)
I'm nicking that idea !!
When is the best time to sow Ricinus?
Not too soon, they grow quickly and won't do well if the light is poor.

I sowed mine on 1st April last year

cordyman

Re: Plants for THIS year.

Post by cordyman » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:50 pm

RozDevon wrote:Prowling round the nurseries today - browsing in the fern section, spotted one larger than the others which had a little 4" trunk and long hard leaves. Looked suspiciously like tree fern leaves, so I thought I'd have it as it was only £4.75. The label just said "fern" or so I thought! It was the only one there as all the others were little mixed ferns.
Got it home and potted it up in a tall terracotta pot and had a good look at the label, one of those plastic ones on a spike, and guess what? It said Dicksonia Antarctica!!!! Well, blow me down! So I've got a new tree fern, hurrah!! Result!

Prowling round another nursery, looking in the phormium section and there was a little lonely trachycarpus fortunei.
26" high from top of pot to top of leaves. Ten good leaves and the centre spear seems firm and healthy. Seemed a shame to leave it there on its own so its come home with me, cost £14.95.
Really pleased, nothing like new babies to nurture, love it.

What combination of composts would you experts recommend to pot the Trachycarpus up in to grow it on for a while?

We need pics of the £4.75 Dicksonia antarctica!!!! omg :shock: :shock:

RozDevon

Re: Plants for THIS year.

Post by RozDevon » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:55 pm

Its in the shed for the night as it was in a big cold greenhouse and its going to be cold tonight. Will try and post photo tomorrow. No success so far with doing that. Will get OH involved! Might have some luck then! He put my video on last year so it better at this techno stuff than I am.

cordyman

Re: Plants for THIS year.

Post by cordyman » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:05 pm

RozDevon wrote:Its in the shed for the night as it was in a big cold greenhouse and its going to be cold tonight. Will try and post photo tomorrow. No success so far with doing that. Will get OH involved! Might have some luck then! He put my video on last year so it better at this techno stuff than I am.
Let me know which bit you can't do and i'll help ;)

RozDevon

Re: Plants for THIS year.

Post by RozDevon » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:59 pm

OK, thanks.
Have a mini ipad, have the photo on there, but how do you then link to the forum page from the photo page?
Click on the photo, then what?

cordyman

Re: Plants for THIS year.

Post by cordyman » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:04 pm

RozDevon wrote:OK, thanks.
Have a mini ipad, have the photo on there, but how do you then link to the forum page from the photo page?
Click on the photo, then what?

Do you have the photo uplaoded somewhere like photobucket? if so you simply put

the address of the photo, eg. http://www.rozphoto.jpg and surroung it with [img]and[/img]


so it would look like [ img]http://www.rozphoto.jpg[/img]

Mixed moso

Re: Plants for THIS year.

Post by Mixed moso » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:12 pm

Kristen wrote:
When is the best time to sow Ricinus?
Not too soon, they grow quickly and won't do well if the light is poor.

I sowed mine on 1st April last year
Thanks, I'll try that. I haven't tried them before but am hoping to do the local open gardens this year so going all out!

Post Reply