New York City december temperatures

eddie

New York City december temperatures

Post by eddie »

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/new-yo ... view=table

weird climate...

weekend before christmas 18/11 & 22/16 C, monday 18/6 C (avg 5/-1)
followed by an ice-day -1/-7C on christmas day !
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
stephenprudence

Re: New York City december temperatures

Post by stephenprudence »

later this week, it will drop to around -12C there..
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Bad for the plants, not that bad for humans. At least they get nice days in December, which we don't. But then we can go to the Med on the weekends for £40 and get some niceness too while our plants just hang in there.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Bad for the plants, not that bad for humans. At least they get nice days in December, which we don't. But then we can go to the Med on the weekends for £40 and get some niceness too while our plants just hang in there.
flounder

Post by flounder »

otorongo wrote:Bad for the plants, not that bad for humans. At least they get nice days in December, which we don't. But then we can go to the Med on the weekends for £40 and get some niceness too while our plants just hang in there.
Yep, a thread about New York. So good you posted twice :D
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

We have had about the same here in KY. Last weekend we had highs of 21 and lows only down around 8...then the arctic blast shows up and we will just creep over 0c today with lows around -10 or -12c for the night over the next few days. Got to love it though since the summer brings 32c+ for months :lol:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

So does that mean we will be getting some of that then stephen as our storms are coming from there are they not?
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Don't think there are too many New Yorkers who are worried about their tender plants outside!
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Rob S wrote:Don't think there are too many New Yorkers who are worried about their tender plants outside!
Their gardens are not as exotic by our standards, but...

I think the coolness of exotic gardening lies in growing plants that you don't normally see in your area. If your zone was 10b, you would see bougainvilleas and hibiscus on every corner and there would be no excitement in growing those. They would be perceived as boring as roses.

Would a higher zone make you a happier person? ;) Maybe for the first month, then the initial excitement would subside.

Likewise, if you moved from zone 8/9 England to zone 6/7 New York, you would initially be depressed by the narrowing of the selection of plants you could grow, but you'd get used to it in no time and find borderline candidates to grow - maybe some hardy eucs, trachys, etc. which would be a sensation over there.

Would the same apply to the increased sunshine hours, unexpected warm winter days and long summers? I'm not so sure.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Are there any Trachycarpus's in New York? I doubt it!
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Rob S wrote:Are there any Trachycarpus's in New York? I doubt it!
Near the subway vents :lol:

According to this map: http://files.campus.edublogs.org/blogs. ... 3gw8tb.jpg , the mildest parts of NYC are zone 7b, meaning temps don't go below -15C, that's mild enough for a Trach?
kracker

Post by kracker »

stephenprudence wrote:later this week, it will drop to around -12C there..
I was there there a few years ago in feb it was -14 c but the wind chill blowing through the the avenues probably felt like -24c never felt anything like it
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

miketropic wrote:We have had about the same here in KY. Last weekend we had highs of 21 and lows only down around 8...then the arctic blast shows up and we will just creep over 0c today with lows around -10 or -12c for the night over the next few days. Got to love it though since the summer brings 32c+ for months :lol:
I'd take our cooler summers if it means milder winters!! Happy new year to you all... icon_salut
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

there are plenty of windmills in nyc as well as alot of other things you would not think was there. it does get very cold but the inner city could be a zone 8 or better..the zones maps are sort of right..im in a zone 6b..it says I should see 0F or lower...have not in many years so you can't always go by them
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

For gardening exotics you are better of in rainy London under a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP then New York. Thats now a cold gray frosty city...

Alexander