£150 best single specimen, what would you buy?

multim

Re: £150 best single specimen, what would you buy?

Post by multim »

The flower spike is from a Dasylerion Wheeleri which decided to flower late Summer/early Autumn. The Rostrata has been in the ground for about 4 years and the Linearis, 2 years this April. The Thompsoniana was planted at the same time as the Linearis.About 5ft tall, 3 heads. Although it's bad manners to mention prices, the topic rather suggests I do, so for those interested the Thompsoniana was £300, Linearis £100 and Rostrata £70. Sorry for the rubbish image, chucking it down with rain AGAIN!
Attachments
06012014157.jpg
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

multim wrote:The flower spike is from a Dasylerion Wheeleri which decided to flower late Summer/early Autumn. The Rostrata has been in the ground for about 4 years and the Linearis, 2 years this April. The Thompsoniana was planted at the same time as the Linearis.About 5ft tall, 3 heads. Although it's bad manners to mention prices, the topic rather suggests I do, so for those interested the Thompsoniana was £300, Linearis £100 and Rostrata £70. Sorry for the rubbish image, chucking it down with rain AGAIN!

Out of those is it only the thomsonia with overhead protection?

Lovely collection! Thanks for prices helps put it into perspective.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

karl66 wrote:Many thanks, the thompsonia is a beast :lol: , it was bought fully rooted for about £550 reduced from £690, it's well over 5ft tall & been planted about 3 years without any protection at all. karl.
Looks worth every penny karl! Proper show piece drunken_smilie1
multim

Post by multim »

Thanks Cordy,
I provide just overhead cover to the Thompsoniana and Linearis as it is easy and quick to do being close to the wall. They may not need it but for now, it helps and doesn't look unsightly. The Rostrata has no protection as it has grown so tall. I'm 6 feet 4 ins and cannot reach the top growth. There is some leaf spotting come the Spring but this soon grows out. It was not in the best of condition when purchased which is why is was so cheap, but once planted it has romped away with no damage during '09-'10 Winter.
Attachments
Y.Rostrata delivery.JPG
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

multim wrote:Thanks Cordy,
I provide just overhead cover to the Thompsoniana and Linearis as it is easy and quick to do being close to the wall. They may not need it but for now, it helps and doesn't look unsightly. The Rostrata has no protection as it has grown so tall. I'm 6 feet 4 ins and cannot reach the top growth. There is some leaf spotting come the Spring but this soon grows out. It was not in the best of condition when purchased which is why is was so cheap, but once planted it has romped away with no damage during '09-'10 Winter.
Thanks! I guess if any year you don't use a shelter they should fair pretty well with being so close to the house too icon_salut

how many cm/inch per year do these grow? My Rostrata has thrown up new leaves but not really put on any height.
multim

Post by multim »

It's hard to tell how much growth the trunk has made as there is now a 'skirt' of old leaves but I would guess at and inch or two. The head has really developed as you can see. Shame the Agave didn't survive. It was sold to me as 'Parryi' but clearly was not.
Attachments
Spring 2010
Spring 2010
As of today 7/1/2014
As of today 7/1/2014
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

multim wrote:It's hard to tell how much growth the trunk has made as there is now a 'skirt' of old leaves but I would guess at and inch or two. The head has really developed as you can see. Shame the Agave didn't survive. It was sold to me as 'Parryi' but clearly was not.

Thanks Multim,

its certainly settled into its spot well icon_salut Does it have two cable anchor's too? is this with the gales?

I'm definetely sold on a Yucca now.

Waiting for Spring when everyone has stock to see what I get, be it linearis or Rostrata (thompson too expensive :( )

I'm quite picky when buying specimens, so it the linearis doesn't look as good as the Rostrata stock at time of purchase, i'll buy Rostrata, even if linearis has the potential to look better in years to come. :lol:
multim

Post by multim »

Thanks Cordy. Yes, I have some rope tied from a ground anchor to the Rostrata as the wind gusts have been hitting it full-on. It may well have been okay but a bit of for-thought and all that.
The Thompsoniana and Linearis came from Nigel's place in Bristol, both good plants and just fitted in the Jeep en route home from Cornwall.
pdid

Post by pdid »

multim wrote:It's hard to tell how much growth the trunk has made as there is now a 'skirt' of old leaves but I would guess at and inch or two. The head has really developed as you can see. Shame the Agave didn't survive. It was sold to me as 'Parryi' but clearly was not.
That's a cracking specimen! Again you can see how much better they are in the ground.

Was it fully rooted when you bought it?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

looks really healthy.
Simba

Post by Simba »

I have three good size linearis, 2 good sized thompsoniana, and a nice rostrata.
All have been planted out for a couple of years now, and all have thrived and are doing really, really well.

Yucca Linearis

Hardiness-wise, they do say linearis is the toughest, but I've not had an issue with any yucca to be honest, not even the small purple desmetiana, which i also have planted out.

Yucca Thompsoniana

But for me, £150 for a single specimen, it will have to be nailed on hardy, cos I wouldnt want to take that as a loss.

Yucca Thompsoniana

So my money would go on a yucca..and NOT a "bare root" one.....have a browse through Ebay, especially the German and Dutch sellers, who sell fully rooted Yucca..!!

Yucca Linearis

HAPPY 2014 HTUKers...!!!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Simba wrote:I have three good size linearis, 2 good sized thompsoniana, and a nice rostrata.
All have been planted out for a couple of years now, and all have thrived and are doing really, really well.

Yucca Linearis
[ Image ]

Hardiness-wise, they do say linearis is the toughest, but I've not had an issue with any yucca to be honest, not even the small purple desmetiana, which i also have planted out.

Yucca Thompsoniana
[ Image ]

But for me, £150 for a single specimen, it will have to be nailed on hardy, cos I wouldnt want to take that as a loss.

Yucca Thompsoniana
[ Image ]

So my money would go on a yucca..and NOT a "bare root" one.....have a browse through Ebay, especially the German and Dutch sellers, who sell fully rooted Yucca..!!

Yucca Linearis
[ Image ]

HAPPY 2014 HTUKers...!!!

Great post Simba, icon_thumleft They all look super healthy!

The established Linearis seem to have the widest crowns of them all in your garden, but I like the Thomsoniana the most drunken_smilie1 Any idea why Thomsoniana are more expensive usually, and always tend to have the skirt left on by sellers?

Have you got any Yucca Faxiona SImba, thats another looker but not sure how hardy.
Steph

Post by Steph »

Nice to hear from you Kev, garden is looking good.
Are you finding it less maintenance, more self sufficient these days?
karl66

Post by karl66 »

faxionia are tough as old boot's if bought fully rooted, although one of my larger ones had a slight wobble last year but a lovely summer has turned it around!!, they don't grow trunk that quickly but once planted out they have massive crown's. karl.
Simba

Post by Simba »

Steph wrote:Nice to hear from you Kev, garden is looking good.
Are you finding it less maintenance, more self sufficient these days?

Thanks Steph...yes the garden is almost completely self sufficient now, hardly did any graft at all in 2013, apart from a bit of hard landscaping and planting....and no protecting or covering either.... :)