Here we go again Floods 3rd Jan 2014

jungle jas

Here we go again Floods 3rd Jan 2014

Post by jungle jas »

I've just looked at the weather forecast on the Welsh news tonight, they have promised me a high tide at 9oc in the morning that is 12 foot above normal ! I only live 5 feet above high tide.!!!!!! :ahhh!: Its a good job I don't believe them. :lol: :lol: :lol: The Welsh are always prone to exaggeration, at least I hope so. :oops: If you don't hear from me after 9oc tomorrow morning you'll know I was wrong. icon_fish drunken_smilie1 icon_fish :lol:
Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: Here we go again.

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

You can borrow my snorkel............... :lol:
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:You can borrow my snorkel............... :lol:
Thanks. Express delivery I hope. icon_thumright
flounder

Post by flounder »

I was whining about the polystyrene sheet littering my garden the other day, I thought it was wind blown. After another bout of extremely torrential rain today I realise it was flotsam :shock:
jungle jas

Re: Here we go again Floods 3rd Jan 2014

Post by jungle jas »

Well you'll be disappointed to know I'm still here, just. :lol: The sea was the highest it has been since I moved here 7 1/2 years ago, a mere 2 1/2 feet below the sea wall at the end of the garden. :roll: I have a Trachycarpus and a Jubaea planted next to the sea wall and I suspect the roots will have had salt water at them, I do hope that doesn't affect the palms adversely. Mind you with all the rain we are having at the moment I think it will soon wash out of the soil. The weather warnings remain for high tides this evening and tomorrow morning. I suppose it all depends on the winds at the relevant times. icon_thumright
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Although the estate where I live is not affected most of the land around Wareham is under water as there are two rivers flowing through it, the Frome and the Piddle. It appears Sunday and Monday will see more heavy rain adding to the problem.
pdid

Post by pdid »

Top of my road.
sea.jpg
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

It's a tad blowy here at the moment with the wind coming off the sea onto my front garden. The 4" hedge around is protecting most of it but the small bamboo has lost most of its leaves and so has the sacred bamboo (cant remember its name!).
My OH, whose family are from Plymouth Barbican fishing stock, says the floods on the Barbican are not at all unusual, he's seen it like that lots of times! The media do like to latch on to a story though!
Must admit I'm glad to be on high ground and not down at tide level like some poor devils.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

With the wind and high water do you have rough seas, Jas? Do the Trach and Jub get drenched with salt spray? (Notice I only ask after the palms' welfare :lol: )
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Well the wind- and raingods are very buzzy overthere it seems. Fortunately the UK lays between the Low Countries and that wild Atlantic, otherwise we would get it all overhere!

Alexander
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

jungle jas wrote:Well you'll be disappointed to know I'm still here, just. :lol: The sea was the highest it has been since I moved here 7 1/2 years ago, a mere 2 1/2 feet below the sea wall at the end of the garden. :roll: I have a Trachycarpus and a Jubaea planted next to the sea wall and I suspect the roots will have had salt water at them, I do hope that doesn't affect the palms adversely. Mind you with all the rain we are having at the moment I think it will soon wash out of the soil. The weather warnings remain for high tides this evening and tomorrow morning. I suppose it all depends on the winds at the relevant times. icon_thumright

any pics of your garden Jas? including the end with the palms by the sea wall etc? sounds epic icon_thumleft
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Sorry Cordy I don't do pictures, I tried it once and decided life was to short. :lol: How ever if any of you are holidaying over this way you would be very welcome to take a look at the garden just PM me. It is pretty spectacular round here . I can even help with accommodation as my partner Lou manages a local hotel, Dolserau Hall, ( blatant plug ) Look it up on Tripadvisor.

How ever looking out of the window I can see the wind has dropped and we now have a normal spring tide. I am back to a normal 5 ft above sea level, instead of 2 1/2 ft yesterday. :lol: We should be thankful I suppose it is the current weather patterns that are keeping the frosts away. icon_thumright
kata

Post by kata »

Well you'll be disappointed to know I'm still here, just.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

This is just down the road about 400 yards away. The sea wall protects the land from sea floods, but stop rainwater draining away so when we get heavy rain over a period of time the water table rises, flooding the marshes.

Note: there are 2 Swans in the background.
Attachments
2014-01-03 08-25-16 Horses on marsh.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Alexander »

Well best to turn those low wet areas and floodplains into naturreserves for wildlive. And build on high dry land!

Alexander