Cupressus Sempervirens 'Totem' Italian Cypress Conifer

Jo A P

Re: Cupressus Sempervirens 'Totem' Italian Cypress Conifer

Post by Jo A P »

I didn't know that about the male and female trees Conifers. It's generally said here that the female spreads and the male is upright. We have some of each along the road and some are upright and some spread. The spreaders really spoil the look of the line of trees so I wonder why they were planted instead of the uprights.

As to virus and fungus - that just me being ignorant :oops:
Jo A P

Post by Jo A P »

If there are both sexes on the same tree, is it possible to grow them from 'seed'? I've never found any seedlings around.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Jo A P wrote:If there are both sexes on the same tree, is it possible to grow them from 'seed'? I've never found any seedlings around.
Depends.

If you have a single tree, or a group of trees all of the same cultivar / clone (i.e., all genetically identical), then you can't. Although the male and female are on the same tree, it won't pollinate itself, like most monoecious plants, they have ways and means to prevent "incest". You need at least two (and preferably several) genetically different individuals.

If you do have more than one, then yes, you will get viable seed, and it is easy to grow, though UK conditions (wetter than its native habitat, with much greater weed competition) don't usually allow natural regeneration. But pick a mature cone (full size, grey-brown not greenish), dry it in a warm room until it opens (3-4 weeks), shake the seeds out, and sow them in a well-drained sandy compost, and they're easy.

But remember seed propagation gives genetic mixing, so (just like apple trees grown from pips gives trees with unreliable quality apples) the shape of the progeny won't be predictable. They could be narrow, they could just as easily be spreading.
Jo A P wrote:The spreaders really spoil the look of the line of trees so I wonder why they were planted instead of the uprights.
Likely because they were seed-grown, and therefore unpredictable :wink:
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

A house round the corner from me has a pair in their front garden. Full sun somewhat sheltered from prevailing winds by the house. Been there since before 2009, so withstood 2010 etc. The right hand one looks a bit brown but is still green closeup.
Attachments
Cupressus Sempervirens 'Totem' Italian Cypress Conifer - Fife
Cupressus Sempervirens 'Totem' Italian Cypress Conifer - Fife
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Crikey, thats a very bare garden!!!!
Could do with a few palms there!!
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

TropicalTom, many thanks for information you sent.
Jo A P

Post by Jo A P »

Thanks for that very clear explanation Conifers! Nice that an expert can give some time. We have about 20 trees and as you can see from the pic some remain healthy and others just crumble away and we have had to cut them down. They've been here for over 50 years.
Attachments
snow.JPG
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

Jo A P wrote:Living in Tuscany I suppose I couldn't really be without. A lot of trees have had to be cut down due to a virus and even now some of ours are literally 'crumbling' from the top down.
Jo, you are so lucky living where you live! your country is wonderful, we will be visiting Lake Garda again this year ( Land of the Trachycarpus) I'll be collecting cones from Cupressus trees to try some from seed!

Keith :D
Jo A P

Post by Jo A P »

I'm as British as you are Tom! I'm married to an Italian and live here though the temptation to move back is very strong!
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

I've took a flyer today....I just couldn't wait any longer.... I've planted them in the ground icon_cheers