Drink of rainwater for potted plants

Panama Pete

Drink of rainwater for potted plants

Post by Panama Pete »

Ive pulled most of my plants out of winter storage for some mild rain water this evening. I;m nearly making the mistake of keeping things tooo dry and with the mild weather that we have experienced together with wind it has
dried most plants out.

i've watered all dahlia storage crates, canna in storage and all my potted palms and other tropicals
apart from my Agave collection.

Might be worth a check if you have kept a lot undercover, but exposed to air and wind. icon_salut
fern Rob

Re: Drink of rainwater for potted plants

Post by fern Rob »

I seem to forget about my tree ferns in storage, I'm going to have to check as they are hard to bring back once dried out.
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks Pete for the reminder to check and bring in my Begonias and Dahlias.

I dare not uncover the Ensete yet. The two planted Basjoos are uncovered all winter.

icon_sunny
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

fern Rob wrote:I seem to forget about my tree ferns in storage, I'm going to have to check as they are hard to bring back once dried out.
Most Cyathea's are dead if allowed to dry out
Leigh
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

kata wrote:
I dare not uncover the Ensete yet.
icon_sunny
Wise decision...

Watering the fungi that reside on Ensete really gets them going. You can see them flourish over the next two months, consuming the Ensete as it grows. By March the fungi have really done their job and you chuck the Ensete goo out. :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Leigh wrote:
fern Rob wrote:I seem to forget about my tree ferns in storage, I'm going to have to check as they are hard to bring back once dried out.
Most Cyathea's are dead if allowed to dry out
I speak from experience.
kata

Post by kata »

Wise decision...
Yes but don't you just want a peep.... :lol: :lol:

Too much covering on it but even at that I don't hold out much hope of survival Dave.

icon_sunny
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

Begonia,canna and dahlia can all be bought from garden centres,usually stored in warm dry conditions(in dry sawdust),for several months.So I always presumed they would be fine if left to dry out completely icon_scratch .
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Definitely wise. Had to water my pots more than most winters due to the constant wind drying them out.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Mine are all indoors, gave my potted basjoo's, washingtonia robusta's, Agaves, Bird of paradise, and my palm seedlings a drink a long with my phormium youngsters. Must admit my canna's do fine without a watering only watering they get is a good soak when they get potted from lifting out the ground. Dahlia's i will do as i have forgotten about them, i do not dare water my ensete maurelli and 'Montbeliardii' that are potted so i will leave them, I have even left my alocasia's dry as well. Do people water there Aeonium over winter I haven't with mine it looks OK but i am wondering if i should give it a trickle of water.
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

I gave my Aeonium a misty hose spray Aaron, as I have had some that seem to go dry and die. |avoided soaking the soil though.

Ensette's - its January leave them alone that's for sure. I havnt 90% dried this time, and there all doing fine so far.

Dahlia tubers are sold in sawdust, but some variety dry and shrivel up whilst being stored. This is mostly the small tubers. From my experience using a really 'poor' compost such as that of b and ? the compost seems to dry fast but gives the tuber just enough moisture to survive and sprout in May/June. I store in bread crates so every different variety of storage and conditions do make a difference. I'm not sure how long shop dahlia are stored in sawdust from, but I doubt its from the time they are dug out.
Neil Ziemski

Post by Neil Ziemski »

I store my canna and dahlia in a mix of shitty compost and bark mulch.
And they don't mind been a bit moist!
flounder

Post by flounder »

I store my canna and dahlia in situ, in the ground....they've had their fair share of rain water recently! :wink:
derrick

Post by derrick »

I give my Abutilons Brugmansia Aeoniums and palms Echiums some water .But my Cannas Dahlias Cactus and Ensete I keep dry .
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

My dahlia tubers come out not because of frost but because i have a big dig over of the soil and start with a blank canvas.