Phoenix canariensis_CIDP blown over

paulrm71

Phoenix canariensis_CIDP blown over

Post by paulrm71 »

Hi all,

The first bout of very windy weather blew my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP over at a 45 degree angle. It won't stand up now unless staked. I think the main tap root is still intact so all the damage must be the surrounding roots. Is it likely to have had it?? I purposely planted it quite high in the ground two years ago, so that water would flow away from the plant, so the photo makes it look worse than it is. Given that the main damage occurred two weeks ago and we haven't had any frosts since, the fronds look really healthy still, so I hoping this is a good sign.

Thanks,
Paul
Attachments
image.jpg
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Phoenix canariensis_CIDP blown over

Post by Dave Brown »

They don't have tap root Paul, and unless the base of the plant is in contact with the ground, no new roots can form.

It's common that when 'sat high' it sits on it's own roots above the soil, and eventually rocks about. The only things you can do is, plant deeper, if it has not been planted long, or to stake and mound the soil up covering the base of the palm. This will allow new roots to form and eventually it will anchor itself :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Phoenix canariensis_CIDP blown over

Post by paulrm71 »

Thanks Dave, will try that. It would be a shame to lose it.