Anybody checked their Dicksonia Antartica's recently

Mick C

Re: Anybody checked their Dicksonia Antartica's recently

Post by Mick C »

No knuckles apparent yet on Dicksonia antarctica's planted outside, and I hope it stays that way for the next few weeks. I have a C medularis and a D squarrosa in pots in the greenhouse, to be honest I'm not sure what they are doing.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I am hoping no more knuckles push up yet mick, thankfully only the one shown in the picture. :-)
Steph

Post by Steph »

GREVILLE wrote:Mine has never needed protection of any kind but then it is exceptionally well sheltered. There has been slow movement with this all winter. My potted Cyathea medullaris is still sitting next to his chum Dicky and there is a race on to see whose crozier is unfurling more quickly. (So far, Cyathea is winning!)
My Cyatheas were doing fine outside, but I bottled it and brought them in... you are making me regret that.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I can't tell as they are wrapped.....I will be leaving all mine for at least another month if not 2.....and longer depending on the weather.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

The Codfather wrote:I can't tell as they are wrapped.....I will be leaving all mine for at least another month if not 2.....and longer depending on the weather.
Same for me.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Why's that Rob? Kata only lives 10 minutes from me and mine haven't had any fleece on at all yet.

In this mild weather there's more danger of rot if stuff is left wet and covered, that's how I lost my Maurelli and Cycas Circinalis last year.

Planted Treeferns, like cycas reveluta, don't really need anything until there's a real risk of -5c or below.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Steph wrote:
GREVILLE wrote:Mine has never needed protection of any kind but then it is exceptionally well sheltered. There has been slow movement with this all winter. My potted Cyathea medullaris is still sitting next to his chum Dicky and there is a race on to see whose crozier is unfurling more quickly. (So far, Cyathea is winning!)
My Cyatheas were doing fine outside, but I bottled it and brought them in... you are making me regret that.
Medullaris is ready to be lugged inside if a low of -2c or -3c is forecast and next to Dicksonia antarctica the minimum there would only be zero, which gives you an idea what a sheltered life it lives.I can't see such lows promised well into February. My lowest minimum of -7.4c a couple of winters ago was still not enough to affect the unprotected Dicksonia antarctica.

I have to assume that the faster winter growth on the medullaris is down to the fact that it's potted and a little afternoon sun warms the pot. (In fact, pot and plant is shading the Dicksonia antarctica from the low winter sun!)
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Why's that Rob? Kata only lives 10 minutes from me and mine haven't had any fleece on at all yet.

In this mild weather there's more danger of rot if stuff is left wet and covered, that's how I lost my Maurelli and Cycas Circinalis last year.

Planted Treeferns, like cycas reveluta, don't really need anything until there's a real risk of -5c or below.
That is my thinking to gogglebox as natural as possible for as long as possible. Only thing i get concerned about this winter with the frosts is my plant washingtonia robusta, and T-rex but that makes for a different topic. :lol:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

sanatic1234 wrote:
GoggleboxUK wrote:Why's that Rob? Kata only lives 10 minutes from me and mine haven't had any fleece on at all yet.

That is my thinking to gogglebox as natural as possible for as long as possible. Only thing i get concerned about this winter with the frosts is my plant washingtonia robusta, and T-rex but that makes for a different topic. :lol:
There is no need. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Although there has been several frosts here this winter the temps haven't dropped lower than -1c and then only on two occasions so nothing has been affected. My three tiny Dicksonia antarctica (about 6/8" of trunk grown from plugs) haven't been covered at all and are still bright green. I'll put fleece bags over them only if it is going to go below -3c.
kata

Post by kata »

I am with Goggles,

If they are wrapped long enough they will end up wet.

OT example
I just thought I would peep at my Ensete and its wet, thats been covered for weeks.

Condensation.

BOT
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

kata wrote:I am with Goggles,

If they are wrapped long enough they will end up wet.

OT example
I just thought I would peep at my Ensete and its wet, thats been covered for weeks.

Condensation.

BOT
Why would they be wet, Ensete leaves naturally drip water.
kata

Post by kata »

Erm...wrapping, cold damp weather for weeks.

In summer Ensetes do not drip, least not what I have seen on mine.

You drain them so they can be stored completely dry Rob or fungus and rot sets in.

Its staying indoors now and I hope its ok.

Back to Dicksonia antartica.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

kata wrote:Erm...wrapping, cold damp weather for weeks.

In summer Ensetes do not drip, least not what I have seen on mine.

You drain them so they can be stored completely dry Rob or fungus and rot sets in.

Its staying indoors now and I hope its ok.

Back to Dicksonia antartica.
Well i don't see what thats got to do with Dicksonia antarctica icon_scratch
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

I check mine all year, every time I look out the window, or go outside, and watch the fronds gently swaying in the breeze. :wink: