Anybody checked their Dicksonia Antartica's recently

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Anybody checked their Dicksonia Antartica's recently

Post by Dave Brown »

fern Rob wrote: We are going to have to continue to disagree, fungal attacks are going to happen when they are cold and damp, the roots of the plant will provide water through winter.
Wrap these plants all winter to prevent loss, just keep check on the plants.
Sorry Rob, much of your argument is based on a couple of cold winters in your location. You seem to have a very cold micro-climate that is not representative of most of the UK, but seem to be making statements as though it is the same for everyone, and this why there are so many arguments.

It would be better if you said " This is what I do and It works for my location" rather than implying "this is what you need to do to prevent loss".

Plants from wet areas that are cold in winter tend not to suffer from wet related ailments, like fungal attacks and rots.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by fern Rob »

Dave Brown wrote:
fern Rob wrote: We are going to have to continue to disagree, fungal attacks are going to happen when they are cold and damp, the roots of the plant will provide water through winter.
Wrap these plants all winter to prevent loss, just keep check on the plants.
Sorry Rob, much of your argument is based on a couple of cold winters in your location. You seem to have a very cold micro-climate that is not representative of most of the UK, but seem to be making statements as though it is the same for everyone, and this why there are so many arguments.

It would be better if you said " This is what I do and It works for my location" rather than implying "this is what you need to do to prevent loss".

Plants from wet areas that are cold in winter tend not to suffer from wet related ailments, like fungal attacks and rots.
I obviously didn't get the highlighted across, as i was trying to say that tree ferns come from damp areas and are not going to react to fungus like Enseta.
Back to the cold winters in my area, My real problem is that I feel that to many tree ferns may have been lost in winter 2010, tree ferns take years to grow and mostly harvested from the wild, I just think it is a waste to loose plants that are the back bone to there native habitat and shouldn't be risked, My concern is i don't want people to loose such unusual plants and be having to replace them, as these plants should be for life. :(
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

fern Rob wrote: Back to the cold winters in my area, My real problem is that I feel that to many tree ferns may have been lost in winter 2010, tree ferns take years to grow and mostly harvested from the wild, I just think it is a waste to loose plants that are the back bone to there native habitat and shouldn't be risked, My concern is i don't want people to loose such unusual plants and be having to replace them, as these plants should be for life. :(
I agree, but over protecting for 99 years out of 100 seem a bit over the top to me. I am prepared, and would await the 5 day and 2 day forecast confirmation of a freeze before swinging into action. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by fern Rob »

Dave Brown wrote:
fern Rob wrote: Back to the cold winters in my area, My real problem is that I feel that to many tree ferns may have been lost in winter 2010, tree ferns take years to grow and mostly harvested from the wild, I just think it is a waste to loose plants that are the back bone to there native habitat and shouldn't be risked, My concern is i don't want people to loose such unusual plants and be having to replace them, as these plants should be for life. :(
I agree, but over protecting for 99 years out of 100 seem a bit over the top to me. I am prepared, and would await the 5 day and 2 day forecast confirmation of a freeze before swinging into action. :wink:
It's also worth remembering that my whole garden is based and designed around tree ferns, a bad winter would literally destroy it all. I can not go off a 2 or 5 day forecast as I'm to busy and may not always have the time to run out and cover them all up. icon_thumleft I'm sure my 9ft I have on order will need plenty of protection though because it will be above the hedge line.
Steph

Post by Steph »

I think we need to accept Robs garden is a lot colder than ours, and what he may think necessary in his Antartic patch in Sheffield is irrelevant to us, lush southerners we may be or even most.
It also means his advice is a bit OTT.
My Dicksonia antarctica are all OK, unprotected so far this year, I brought the Cyatheas in after Xmas but with hindsight it wasn't necessary.
Last edited by Steph on Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Steph wrote:I think we need to accept Robs garden is a lot colder than ours, and what he may think necessary in his Antartic patch in Sheffield is irrelevant to us, lush southerners we may be or even most.
It also means his advice is a bit OTT.
My Dicksonia antarctica are all OK, unprotected so far this year, I brought the Cyatheas after Xmas but with hindsight it wasn't necessary.
Thanks Steph, its like a freezer out side at the moment :lol: . My really point is people who are new to tree ferns to be ready, and protect them if and when its required rather than loose them due to not being prepared, not to just hope for the best as they do need some protection in a lot of areas wether its for one night or all winter. Personally I have found you can get a larger head of fronds on the Dicksonia antarctica when protected.
How are your Cyatheas doing? :D
Steph

Post by Steph »

The Cyatheas are like poles, they have their fronds tied up in the conservatory but that's not stopping them pushing new ones out.
If the strings snap they'll knock over lots of other stuff.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Problem is Rob you endorse wrapping all winter when its just not needed and can harm a plant. More tree ferns die from winter drought than cold.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Tom2006 wrote:Problem is Rob you endorse wrapping all winter when its just not needed and can harm a plant. More tree ferns die from winter drought than cold.
I really do disagree with tree ferns being harmed by protecting them, if they are rooted how can they die of drought? I have not read anything where rooted tree ferns have died due to protection. Wrapping may not always be needed but I do disagree that it causes them problems.
kata

Post by kata »

Its now four days and nights since I unwrapped mine,

There has been rain but no frost, it stays unwrapped but watching weather reports daily.

icon_cheers
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

icon_thumleft
kata wrote:Its now four days and nights since I unwrapped mine,

There has been rain but no frost, it stays unwrapped but watching weather reports daily.

icon_cheers
icon_thumleft
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks Tom,

I just wish it did'nt rain so much here, its daily and the lawn is just a sodden mess and throwing up soil...quagmire in places.

I see grass growing round the palms and fern but nothing I can do.

:(
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

fern Rob wrote:Personally I have found you can get a larger head of fronds on the Dicksonia antarctica when protected.
:D
Never wrapped mine or covered mine most I've ever done is put a bunch of leaves in the crown, and always get a good flush, being sad enough to count them I had a 48 frond flush lasts spring and always get a second flush towards the end of Summer
Leigh
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

kata wrote:Thanks Tom,

I just wish it did'nt rain so much here, its daily and the lawn is just a sodden mess and throwing up soil...quagmire in places.

I see grass growing round the palms and fern but nothing I can do.

:(
Same here Kata. I'm nearly on the verge of buying a one way ticket yo anywhere near the equator. I can do warm rain but this is a slog...I just cant get out there.

that said I console myself in the thought that this winter is perfect for our plants even if it sends us (even more) loopy! :lol:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Leigh wrote:
fern Rob wrote:Personally I have found you can get a larger head of fronds on the Dicksonia antarctica when protected.
:D
Never wrapped mine or covered mine most I've ever done is put a bunch of leaves in the crown, and always get a good flush, being sad enough to count them I had a 48 frond flush lasts spring and always get a second flush towards the end of Summer
I count them like yourself :lol: my established ones have two flushes a year. You surly have a better maritime climate then me?