Garden Open again this year!

Libby

Garden Open again this year!

Post by Libby »

Yet again I am opening my garden on the village Open Gardens day! I really need to get seed planting and have a heated (5C absolute max) greenhouse. I also have a fantastically big heated propagator. The problem I found 2 years ago was starting the really early seeds off no problem but when they had to come out of the 'prop' they struggled with the 'cool' greenhouse. Any suggestions please?
David York

Re: Garden Open again this year!

Post by David York »

Build yourself a mini greenhouse within your greenhouse using twin or triple walled polycarbonate. Then add some heat mats on the inside to easily keep the temperature at 10c, or whatever temperature you want by using a thermostat.
Vulneratus Non Victus - Wounded But Never Beaten
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

I'd recommend a heat mat. I have a 90cm bio green with fully adjustable temperature in my greenhouse. A "grow bag tray" sits on top and I can get 6 full sized seed trays on it. It provides useful heat when the propogator lids come off but I heat my greenhouse (6ft x 8ft) to 12c also.
Libby

Post by Libby »

Excellent idea a greenhouse within a greenhouse, never thought of that, definitely worth a look. Thanks
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Libby wrote:Excellent idea a greenhouse within a greenhouse, never thought of that, definitely worth a look. Thanks
It does provide a few extra degrees. I also find that spiders and insects also notice that extra heat...esp vine weevil. So worth looking out for that.
Libby

Post by Libby »

Just picked one up half price in a sale in the garden centre, well chuffed!