Cheap screaning ideas?

tropical Tom

Cheap screaning ideas?

Post by tropical Tom »

My garden is starting to fill in nicely now and I have plans this year to fill in the gaps even more. The problem I have is a horrid fence down one side which needs screening, it's only 4 ft tall and about 40 ft in length, I'd like to hide it with something I could buy but then take cuttings from to fill it in so as to keep the cost down. Any ideas? :D

Keith.
RozDevon

Re: Cheap screaning ideas?

Post by RozDevon »

Grapevines.
jungle jas

Re: Cheap screening ideas?

Post by jungle jas »

Trane a Wisteria along it, you would only need a couple. Alternatively evergreen Clematis. It also depends which way the fence is facing. icon_thumright
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

Some of the more larger and colourful leaved Ivies would create a good allyear round cover and you could do cuttings to gradually work your way down the fence.

Some clumping bamboo, loks nice but would take a while and effort to dig up to divide.

If you are not concerned about leaf cover in winter then apple trees trained to grow along the fence.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

An evergreen Clematis is a great screening idea as Jungle-jas said. I have Armandii appleblossom but its in a pot so doesen't reach its potential. Bob had one in his old garden, The best ive ever seen, it covered his 2 fences, if he pops in he might put up a pic..
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I just took delivery of one of them Dee at the weekend icon_thumleft
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

any and all climbers and just let them go wild,intermingle and cover it all.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

The Codfather wrote:I just took delivery of one of them Dee at the weekend icon_thumleft
Brilliant Coddy icon_thumleft
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Various coloured dogwoods planted in groups along the fence to give winter colour,easy to do cuttings,hardy,low maintenance and cheap.
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

I am a big fan of grapevines so I would have them.You can buy modern hybrids that ripen as early as september(queen of esther,is a good early one).They should do well,with the protection of a fence.They are easy to propagate from cuttings,so it would be quite cheap.
A neighbour has a fence smothered with a passion flower, looks great.They are easy from seed so you could do it for £1,if you are willing to wait.
Evergreen jasmine(trachelospermum) would be another option.
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

Some great ideas there, thanks to everyone icon_salut
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Personally, I would steer clear of ivy. It gets such a grip on the fence panels and can only be removed with power washing! Spent several weeks doing this last spring - never again!!
The other suggestions from everyone are all good, maybe go for some deciduous ones and some evergreen ones as well, so you still have some cover in winter.
I'm very fond of Coronilla citrinus, stays evergreen, and has scented pale yellow flowers all winter. Not a climber but easily trained and tied sideways and cheap to buy. Mix with the evergreen clematis suggested. Then add in the summer flowerers for more interest. Try Eccremacarpus, any clematis, Trachelospermum (evergreen), rhodochiton, passiflora, the list is endless!
Lucky you, enjoy your choosing!!
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

An option would be to plant a fast climber, like Russian Vine, as a stopgap (but get it covered in a single season) and then to propagate what you want for longer term.

Evergreen Clematis armandii might be the answer in itself though. Can get a bit knocked back in the winter though.