Fungal infections due to damp winter

paulrm71

Fungal infections due to damp winter

Post by paulrm71 »

I have just read a thread on another forum regarding fungal infections particularly in agave kept outside during damp, humid winters. It got me thinking that the A. Salmiana that I lost last year may have been down to a fungal infection rather than what I had assumed was because of the cold weather (it was under a well ventilated cloche). I have now noticed a fungal spot about the size of a two pound coin on the leaf of my large a. Ovatifolia and a few more brown spots on a. Americana mediopicta alba. Both these plants were dug up and stored outside in the open, but under cover from rain.

The solution to this problem according to the thread, was regular treatment of a fungicide before and during winter. Given the mild winter we are having, I have just sprayed the leaves of the plants today and I am hoping that this will prevent further damage. Does anyone else have any experience of this or any other solutions?

Thanks,
Paul
Blairs

Re: Fungal infections due to damp winter

Post by Blairs »

I spent yesterday's lunch on my Agave. A few outside have brown rot spots - I presumed it was rain dripping on them in the coldframe but fungal growth would make sense as well. I removed a few rotting spikes, some mealybugs on the indoor ones and generally tidied them up.

Getting back to your point, Botrytis seems quite prevalent with the mild damp weather. Some plants in the greenhouse are constantly getting it. I am trying asprin mixed with water and spraying that on them to see if it helps. If not I will try a general fungicide.