Sown Washingtonia robusta's from 2010 lack of growth

Half Hardy

Re: Sown Washingtonia robusta's from 2010 lack of growth

Post by Half Hardy »

You may have a point about weak seeds.I had very good germination rates from a batch of seed,bought last year.I would guess I had about 75 seedlings.I have noticed a huge difference, in growth rates.They all started off in the same compost mix,pot size and growing conditions.The more vigorous were potted on,sooner but they all started off the same.The slowest growing ones have still only got two strap leaves.The fastest,look very similar to the ones in your first picture,after only about 7 months growth.Some of them were badly attacked by red spider mite,which may explain some of the difference.
Half Hardy

Re: self sown Washingtonia robusta's from 2010 lack of growt

Post by Half Hardy »

bordersboy wrote:Pots are too big.I keep mine in tight pots so the roots feel all cosy and produce better top growth.Many Dutch growers do this. Many say this is daft but thats what they do. Only potting up into slightly bigger pots when absolutely necessary.
I have noticed this,particularly with cidps,imported from Italy.I'm not sure if they do it to force more top growth or just to save space and transport costs.My Trachycarpus palms definitely grow better with regular potting on.With palms I know resent root disturbance(Braheas,Nannorrhops etc.) I try to pot on in bigger steps,which is a bit risky because their also the ones that are most likely to have problems with root rot.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Thank you to everyone who has commented about what could be wrong, I have plenty to think about. I do like the idea of keeping them outside and only bringing in when a frost occurs but if we go back to how the winters have been previously then they will spend more time in the storage room than being outside. But saying that since i have had my grow lights my plants including my washingtonia robusta's look a lot healthier i have certainly noticed a difference. I will try the bigger pots as for the size of the pots i have them in these sized/type pots. 2ltr pots.
Attachments
$T2eC16dHJGwE9n)yUsSCBRQkEVHYdg~~60_12.JPG
$T2eC16dHJGwE9n)yUsSCBRQkEVHYdg~~60_12.JPG (6.09 KiB) Viewed 2022 times
doncasterpalmguy123

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

sanatic1234 wrote:Thank you to everyone who has commented about what could be wrong, I have plenty to think about. I do like the idea of keeping them outside and only bringing in when a frost occurs but if we go back to how the winters have been previously then they will spend more time in the storage room than being outside. But saying that since i have had my grow lights my plants including my washingtonia robusta's look a lot healthier i have certainly noticed a difference. I will try the bigger pots as for the size of the pots i have them in these sized/type pots. 2ltr pots.

I take it your eventual goal is to have them outside when big enough. Plants get hardier with experience, its too late this winter but next don't bring them in for frosts just make sure they're well protected. they need to learn what climate they're in sooner rather than later! :D
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I have one planted outside for the first time this winter, that one isn't seed grown by me and is at juvenile stage, now that has had protection as and when. I think the sizes my seed grown ones are at now would only result in dying they are just to small to be taking temps like -4c+ this mild winter is not fooling me one bit, next winter we could be back to the harsh cold snaps again? i hope not but you never know.
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

Hi San, I sowed some about the same time as yours, but the one remaining (I gave the rest away) is almost twice the size of yours. It is outside spring to late autumn, and I did notice a severe lack of growth by positioning the pot where it had the most sun. It is basically a seedling still, and can't tolerate full summer sun all day. As soon as I moved it to give afternoon shade, I saw a dramatic improvement. They also like a good drink in warm conditions.

Paul
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

San there is no point in repotting if you are not seeing any growth, repotting won't promote growth in winter, it just results in the palm not rooting into the compost for a while.
paulrm71 wrote:Hi San, I sowed some about the same time as yours, but the one remaining (I gave the rest away) is almost twice the size of yours. It is outside spring to late autumn, and I did notice a severe lack of growth by positioning the pot where it had the most sun. It is basically a seedling still, and can't tolerate full summer sun all day. As soon as I moved it to give afternoon shade, I saw a dramatic improvement. They also like a good drink in warm conditions.

Paul
Odd that, as they don't seem to suffer that problem in the Canaries with almost overhead sun. My guess is that the palm in full sun was drying out, where as the ground sown ones have deep roots so more chance of getting ample moisture.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
eddie

Post by eddie »

These are mine, all grown from the same bag of seeds.
DSCN2555.JPG
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Dave Brown wrote:San there is no point in repotting if you are not seeing any growth, repotting won't promote growth in winter, it just results in the palm not rooting into the compost for a while.
The last time i re-potted them dave was end of last spring when they went outside. They are nicely settled in there pots just hardly any growth at all.

EDDIE, Yours are on another level to mine completely! Yous look fantastic well done. icon_salut great leave size mine are a quarter of the size of that at most. I will take them out the storage room later and take a more recent pic. You WILL be shocked at how small they still are.
eddie

Post by eddie »

Thanks Aaron !

The seedlings in the small pot in front of the big ones are from the same bag of seeds. They germinated, grew a few leaves and stopped. I don't have a clue why.....
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

May be not enough room for the seedlings? there are 4 in there are there not, may be an individual pot each may help them more? But that is a massive difference. Can't believe its from the same batch!
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

I cant even give advice Aaron, i've killed so many of these I have purchased. Has anyone in our region (say anyone in the Midlands and above) managed to keep one outside not potted just out of interest.

Dave's is awesome! icon_thumleft
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Could your Washy be suffering from major transplant sulk? If so, it does grow out of it (pardon the obtuse pun). Perhaps you should hang on to see if growth takes off next year.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Panama Pete wrote:I cant even give advice Aaron, i've killed so many of these I have purchased. Has anyone in our region (say anyone in the Midlands and above) managed to keep one outside not potted just out of interest.

Dave's is awesome! icon_thumleft
I may be able to say yes to that pete if mine survives if this weather stays nice, it looks great at the minute! :-) only got planted last season, didn't grow at all so guessing its putting its roots down. :lol:

Greville, may be. But to be honest not a lot of growth has taken place since 2010 really when it grew quite rapid.
Last edited by sanatic1234 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

This is my would you believe it 3 year olds, picture just taken as i got forgot earlier. :lol:
Attachments
php0DXEftPM.jpg