Sefton Park Palm House and Sefton Park inhabitants

stephenprudence

Sefton Park Palm House and Sefton Park inhabitants

Post by stephenprudence »

I have posted photos of Sefton Park palm house before, but it's been a while, and although nothing much changes, and it's out of season.. but it was a nice day and why not.

Also I know these 'inhabitants' are common further south, but up here they're relatively rare, so a colony of these forming now in Liverpool.

stephenprudence

Re: Sefton Park Palm House and Sefton Park inhabitants

Parakeets in Liverpool! Not just one or two, but a whole colony. I knew there was colonies in Manchester and Warrington, but they'd generally stayed away from our area, for some reason, apart from the odd sighting. Perhaps because there were no pairs.

fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

It looks fantastic .
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

Brilliant pictures, can't get over the parakeets, hope I get the chance to see them. Is the Norfolk Island pine still outside?
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Great pics Stephem, thanks for sharing.

I love that building. If on;y they'd pick it up and drop it over my garden.
derrick

Post by derrick »

How big is the Ensete looks massive and the bougainvillea . They use to have Parakeets in surrey some place .Not been to a palm or big glass house .Have to visit one this year they look great .
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Parakeets are becoming an invasive problem across Europe. Not sure how far north they now now are (certainly they have been spotted at Loch Lomond and in Glasgow). I have seen large flocks of them in London and Amsterdam. Suppose they are better looking than Pigeons.
derrick

Post by derrick »

They do look better than the winged rats we get pigeons a seagulls. What is the pink and purple flower in the photo .
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

derrick wrote:What is the pink and purple flower in the photo .
It is a Bromeliad called MatchStix (Aechmea gamosepala)
stephenprudence

Thanks everyone, the building is amazing, it has it's own atmosphere (probably similar to many glasshouses of this design), but the actually design was recently renovated.. same design just rescued, as it was crumbling. I heard for a while the palm house was in ruins, but the Phoenix palms were still inside and still managed to survive some pretty hard winters.

John, the Norfolk Island Pine was in Ness Botanical Gardens, not Sefton Park, but no that one was removed (probably dead) unfortunately. They have a big NIP inside though.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Added on my list of places to visit! Heard of Sefton Park but never new where exactly it was, only a 40 min drive icon_salut

Excellent pics
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Nice pics Stephen.

Shame it's so far from me, or I'd visit. :D
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

stephenprudence wrote:Thanks everyone, the building is amazing, it has it's own atmosphere (probably similar to many glasshouses of this design), but the actually design was recently renovated.. same design just rescued, as it was crumbling. I heard for a while the palm house was in ruins, but the Phoenix palms were still inside and still managed to survive some pretty hard winters.

John, the Norfolk Island Pine was in Ness Botanical Gardens, not Sefton Park, but no that one was removed (probably dead) unfortunately. They have a big NIP inside though.
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... =1&t=16540 There was one there the last time I went, its on this topic.
stephenprudence

Its definitely not there now, Norfolk island pines stand absolutely no chance of surviving in Sefton Park. There is however some very large trunked Hibiscus syriacus in pots which is interesting?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Nice plants & parakeets, as long as they don't get shot like the ones did in Fazakerley :(

And Hibiscus syriacus are bone hardy in the UK & can take down to around -30C I believe...