Dicksonia antarctica protection survey

How do you protect your Dicksonia antarctica for/in winter

Ball of fleece in crown in conjunction with below.
35%
Cut off fronds and wrap all winter,regardless.
3%
Cut off fronds and wrap only when freezes forecast.
No votes
Cut off fronds and drape (cover) all winter, regardless.
No votes
Cut off fronds and drape (cover) only when freezes forecast.
No votes
Leave fronds on, gathered up. and wrap all winter, regardless.
9%
Leave fronds on, gathered up, and wrap only when freezes forecast.
3%
Leave fronds on and drape (cover) all winter, regardless.
6%
Leave fronds on and drape (cover) only when freezes forecast.
18%
Don't do anything
6%
Wing it, deciding what to do as the winter unfolds
21%

Total votes: 34

sanatic1234

Re: Tree fern protection survey

Post by sanatic1234 »

Do yu think your tree ferns may be out of sync gogglebox with them being new? are they fresh imports from australia? when i first got mine that was back in january few years back but they wanted to grow then it was a job really trying to stop them.
Steph

Post by Steph »

fern Rob wrote:Question that should be asked is how many people have had problems with there tree ferns due to protecting them all winter?
Does getting mice in the straw count?
Kept the cats amused for a while but there were far too many for my liking.

My opinion on this subject is, that no one person can be the expert on the matter, we all know our own patch and the bottom line is, get it wrong and you have dead plants in the spring.
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

No sign of growth in mine,not surprised or worried......yet.
Normaly theyre wrapped in loft insulation and strawed/fleeced up top. This year just well wrapped in 30gsm fleece with straw/fleece. Most ferns are still green which is a major shock to me as they usually are blackened by November.
This must be the mildest winter in the Scottish Borders for many many years.........so far.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Mick C wrote:
fern Rob wrote:Question that should be asked is how many people have had problems with there tree ferns due to protecting them all winter?
That's an interesting one - is there a risk that protecting them early may encourage them to push out croziers before the worst of winter is over?
My Dicksonia antarctica have been protected for some time and no movement really except for one, I do have about 18 of them though icon_thumleft .
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Steph wrote:
Kept the cats amused for a while but there were far too many for my liking.

My opinion on this subject is, that no one person can be the expert on the matter, we all know our own patch and the bottom line is, get it wrong and you have dead plants in the spring.
Personally I will not use straw for that reason and also because it may rot in the crown. icon_thumleft
kata

Post by kata »

:lol: :lol:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Just do what you feel is right. No need to wrap all winter in most parts of the UK. I wouldn't advise anyone does but respect that some do.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

Phone posted twice ignore edited
Last edited by Panama Pete on Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

My second frost on the way i think.

The whole garden is fleeced tonight.
I find it theraputic. Must be mad.

Tree ferns are snug. Lol
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I am forecast low of 1c so am ok for tonight. :)
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

sanatic1234 wrote:Do yu think your tree ferns may be out of sync gogglebox with them being new? are they fresh imports from australia? when i first got mine that was back in january few years back but they wanted to grow then it was a job really trying to stop them.
I hot them last Feb Aaron, planted them in May and they flushed twice over spring/summer.

I think it's definitely the combination of winter sun and mild temps that is setting them off again although I doubt they'll be unfurling anytime soon.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Tom2006 wrote:Just do what you feel is right. No need to wrap all winter in most parts of the UK. I wouldn't advise anyone does but respect that some do.
I wouldn't advise anyone not to protect tree ferns through winter.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

cordyman wrote:IMHO my cocooned Dicksonia antarctica will still be a picture of health once I unwrap.
IMHO a Dicksonia antarctica has to have fronds to be a picture of health. :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

GoggleboxUK wrote:
sanatic1234 wrote:Do yu think your tree ferns may be out of sync gogglebox with them being new? are they fresh imports from australia? when i first got mine that was back in january few years back but they wanted to grow then it was a job really trying to stop them.
I hot them last Feb Aaron, planted them in May and they flushed twice over spring/summer.

I think it's definitely the combination of winter sun and mild temps that is setting them off again although I doubt they'll be unfurling anytime soon.
I was thinking that about my one knuckle wanderer Gogglebox but didn't want to edge that way too much, I thought firstly mild temps and plenty of rain.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

fern Rob wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:Just do what you feel is right. No need to wrap all winter in most parts of the UK. I wouldn't advise anyone does but respect that some do.
I wouldn't advise anyone not to protect tree ferns through winter.
But only when required. icon_thumright
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.