Winters back to normal?

greyhound

Re: Winters back to normal?

Post by greyhound »

Thank you for your reply Stephen
We seen to have got away with the lows here in the northwest so far
I brought most of my palms etc etc into the conservatory in early October ,but put them back outside in the new year :roll:
They are now all packed into a warm south facing corner on my patio and are surrounded by all my potted 15 foot bamboo plants
They seen to be doing better outside .
K9's and exotic palms not a good combo K9's 5 :exotic palms 0
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

sanatic1234 wrote:I know it a newspaper so most likely a bit wrong but you never know. There was an article today mentioning the weather, this is what it said.

Scientist say they have recorded a definite 10-15 per cent slowdown in the gulf stream that could have "big impacts" on the weather in Britain and elsewhere for decades.
Leader author Dr Jon Robson from the national center for Atmospheric science said: Our findings suggest a relative cooling of the North Atlantic sooner rather than later, perhaps over the next decade or so.
"In Britain we could see a return to drier summers, although it could also lead to more droughts in parts of Europe and Africa. However, there's quite a bit of uncertainty about how fast changes might happen"Research director Prof Rowan Sutton added: "Those of us that spend our summer holidays in Britain would welcome a move away from the a recent succession of soggy summers.
"But this research certainly isn't a forecast for summer 2014 or any other year. However, it could suggest a trend towards drier summers across the UK".

The actual words of the article.
icon_salut icon_salut icon_salut icon_salut icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Be great cordy if it does pan out like that, be nice to have the warmer summers not to sure about the drought though, too many hosepipe bans in force. :lol: But like i say it did come out of my newspaper. The sun newspaper if anyone is wondering.
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Theres no pattern for the weather to follow i feel. Next winter could be hard and long for all any scientists/forecasters know.
Indeed the sun apparently is at its sleepiest for the last 30 years right now. A mini ice age may be right round the corner meaning a frozen Thames like in the last proper chill. 8)
pad199207

Post by pad199207 »

I'm thinking of planting a Phoenix Palm into the ground in spring. Lots of people have them in around here and seem to be fine this winter. Should I go ahead with it ?
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

pad199207 wrote:I'm thinking of planting a Phoenix Palm into the ground in spring. Lots of people have them in around here and seem to be fine this winter. Should I go ahead with it ?
If they do well for others in your area then go for it.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

sanatic1234 wrote:Be great cordy if it does pan out like that, be nice to have the warmer summers not to sure about the drought though, too many hosepipe bans in force. :lol: But like i say it did come out of my newspaper. The sun newspaper if anyone is wondering.
I do like a dry summer, in fact forgetting Spring, i'd take another 2013 summer and autumn at the drop of a hat. Everywhere was so dusty, and night riding in late October in 16*c bliss! icon_cheers
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

bordersboy wrote:Theres no pattern for the weather to follow i feel. Next winter could be hard and long for all any scientists/forecasters know.
Indeed the sun apparently is at its sleepiest for the last 30 years right now. A mini ice age may be right round the corner meaning a frozen Thames like in the last proper chill. 8)
The article isn't suggesting a pattern of weather bordersboy, they haven't even said its a definite, only thing that has been a definite is what scientist have said about the 10-15% slowing of the gulf stream, i completely agree a cold spell could be round the corner, an ice age???????? may be not that far but you never know it could happen but then so could these warmer drier summers and quite possibly more milder winters like we are having this winter so far. But we won't know till a trend does start to show.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

cordyman wrote:
sanatic1234 wrote:Be great cordy if it does pan out like that, be nice to have the warmer summers not to sure about the drought though, too many hosepipe bans in force. :lol: But like i say it did come out of my newspaper. The sun newspaper if anyone is wondering.
I do like a dry summer, in fact forgetting Spring, i'd take another 2013 summer and autumn at the drop of a hat. Everywhere was so dusty, and night riding in late October in 16*c bliss! icon_cheers
I agree there cordy 2013 was a fantastic summer! I really hope we get the same this year as well. :D
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

bordersboy wrote:Theres no pattern for the weather to follow i feel. Next winter could be hard and long for all any scientists/forecasters know.

I think there is a pattern usually though? As 2009/2010 followed a long run of mild winters, so whats to say were not now back on that groove? The Atlantic is quelling all cold attempts thus far very well icon_salut
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

sort of the same here..I had a run of what I would call "mild" winters for us. still colder than yours but no where near what it could be. This year is killing everything in sight and the worst in 20 years. I hope once this is over we get back to the mild ones once again
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

stephenprudence wrote:I think, in my opinion (from what experience I have), mid Feb will deliver some cold, with short cold snaps into March. I don't see a huge issue though.

I'd agree with that, February always seems the worst here.

also doesn't really matter if we get lovely mild winters like this if we have a spring like last year...brrrrrr
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Mr List wrote: also doesn't really matter if we get lovely mild winters like this if we have a spring like last year...brrrrrr
Not sure about that mr list, The spring won't really have the effect to kill off plants like the winter does, the days are constantly lengthening in the spring, more sunlight, more photosynthesis. Spring is only round the corner, last year we didn't have a mild winter the spring just carried on the winter trend, at least if it happened this year we know it would not last long at.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Well at the moment frost is only about a couple of hundred kilometers from here. Berlin will go to minus 13 and Hamburg to minus 10. And we are just at the edge of the milder weather here!

Spring is stll a long way from here.

Alexander
eddie

Post by eddie »

Alexander wrote: Spring is stll a long way from here.

Alexander
So are Berlin & Hamburg :lol:
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas