B and Q Haul-cheap!

sanatic1234

Re: B and Q Haul-cheap!

Post by sanatic1234 »

Dave Brown wrote:Not been in B & Q since end of July.
I think my last time was even earlier dave, a round april - may time. I never really seem to see much in mine except for Phoenix canariensis_CIDP over priced, bamboo which is more pricey than other places and agaves that i already have. I must be going at the wrong times. No in fact i just don't go enough. :lol: I take the easier root and opt for the garden center that is 15 minutes down the road from me where as B&Q is 1 hour and 10 minutes by foot.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Since "verve" brand I think its called took over, b+q is the Tesco of the plant world, blutty expensive :lol:
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

I bought a couple of reduced Chammies a few weeks ago so i now have 4, im thinking of emptying a small border for them this spring! I think 4 together will look good..
derrick

Post by derrick »

I don't buy much from B&Q only reduced stuff .The prices have gone up for sure .Bamboo at the start of the year when cheap .And at the end of the year the give away stuff .But its all the same old stuff lately .
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

you should all be thankful they even stock garden stuff this time of year. over here we wont see a seed packet or a bag of compost for 2 more months. they empty the garden section and use it for holiday season till spring rolls around
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Nothing reduced here, I did buy 6 Ensetes for £1 before Christmas but now its just winter stuff, shrubs, Heathers winter Pansies etc.
kata

Post by kata »

I think 4 together will look good..
I have three Trachis in the lawn Dee, once the babies catch up they should also look great.

:mrgreen:
kracker

Post by kracker »

I went on saturdsay the usual reduced cordys,trachys,yuccas , waggys but i was after a wisteria for my pergola still £35 so i'm goona wait for spring and see if there will be anymore sales icon_sunny icon_sunny icon_sunny
piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 »

Popped in after work and picked up 12 x Bamboo Rufa plants (after haggling) for £1 per plant (reduced from £4 per plant).

Ideal for creating a bamboo hedge (yeah, in about 10 years!) :lol:
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

kata wrote:
I think 4 together will look good..
I have three Trachis in the lawn Dee, once the babies catch up they should also look great.

:mrgreen:
mine are small Kata and i know there slow growing! ill have a fiddle :mrgreen:
Neil Ziemski

Post by Neil Ziemski »

piechnik99 wrote:Popped in after work and picked up 12 x Bamboo Rufa plants (after haggling) for £1 per plant (reduced from £4 per plant).

Ideal for creating a bamboo hedge (yeah, in about 10 years!) :lol:
If its Rufa it won't take 10 years, rufa is one of the quickest, ive got loads and so have all my mates, i started off with one plant about 10 years ago.
You could grow a reasonable hedge in 3 years with it.
Neil
piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 »

Neil Ziemski wrote:If its Rufa it won't take 10 years, rufa is one of the quickest, ive got loads and so have all my mates, i started off with one plant about 10 years ago.
You could grow a reasonable hedge in 3 years with it.
Neil
Thanks Neil....Good news then....! I've read these are a clump forming bamboo, how feasible would it be to create a uniform (ish) hedge - say about 60cm deep? Is it possible to put some kind of root barrier down (ie thick plastic/old polycarbonate sheets) How deep do the culms/rhizomes go down on these?

I suppose what I don't want to happen is for the bamboos to overtake conifers in the guys house behind me (seeing as there is no fence there!)

Sorry for asking a question within a thread! :D
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

piechnik99 wrote: Thanks Neil....Good news then....! I've read these are a clump forming bamboo, how feasible would it be to create a uniform (ish) hedge - say about 60cm deep? Is it possible to put some kind of root barrier down (ie thick plastic/old polycarbonate sheets) How deep do the culms/rhizomes go down on these?

I suppose what I don't want to happen is for the bamboos to overtake conifers in the guys house behind me (seeing as there is no fence there!)

Sorry for asking a question within a thread! :D
As a Fargesia it is clump forming and therefore no need for a barrier. Rhizomes go down 30cm or so+. I only know this as I had them in a trough for ears before putting them in the ground to make a hedge. I also paid £1 for them in a B&Q sale.
piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 »

Blairs wrote:As a Fargesia it is clump forming and therefore no need for a barrier. Rhizomes go down 30cm or so+. I only know this as I had them in a trough for ears before putting them in the ground to make a hedge. I also paid £1 for them in a B&Q sale.
how's the hedge looking? out of interest how far did you plant away from your fence perimeter? icon_scratch
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

piechnik99 wrote: how's the hedge looking? out of interest how far did you plant away from your fence perimeter? icon_scratch
Fine if a tiny bit frazzled where the gale force winds have burned some leaves but really not bad. They really do not send out runners so can be planted quite close (50-30cm) to the fence to give room for growth, though you may want to give more. They grow up rather than out and they have a bit of a lean to them the taller they get, so not one for a tight path or for tall people.