Indoor Plant I.D.

davidjonesUK

Indoor Plant I.D.

Post by davidjonesUK »

anyone know what plant this is mum got it as a present around last august, it looks to me a lilly but not sure on the speices and is it hardy? icon_scratch Thanks.
Attachments
rsz_2014-01-28_144448.jpg
rsz_2014-01-28_144500.jpg
The Codfather

Re: Indoor Plant I.D.

Post by The Codfather »

Yeh......give me a minute....I have 2 of them.... icon_study
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Anthrium...
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
davidjonesUK

Post by davidjonesUK »

The Codfather wrote:Yeh......give me a minute....I have 2 of them.... icon_study
haha :lol: times ticking :bomb: :lol: are they a hardy species?
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

The Codfather wrote:Anthrium...
Typo :wink:

Anthurium icon_thumright
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

davidjonesUK wrote:
The Codfather wrote:Yeh......give me a minute....I have 2 of them.... icon_study
Every species is hardy somewhere :)

Anthriums are hardy to zone 10a, according to PlantFiles.
davidjonesUK

Post by davidjonesUK »

otorongo wrote:
davidjonesUK wrote:
Every species is hardy somewhere :)

Anthriums are hardy to zone 10a, according to PlantFiles.

ahh well that's that sorted :) it will stay indoors I will tell the mother not to give me the plant to plant out if she decides to one day to get rid which il doubt but who knows she's done it before on bromeliads, was also saying to my mother that we should get an kentia palm for the hallway and maybe for my bedroom it would look nice which she also approved so off to a garden centre or b&Q store to have a look tomorrow or Thursday, will these do fine indoors even if lack of sun, and is there any other great tropical/jungly indoor plant I could get rather that 2 kentia palms to have something different icon_scratch , cheers icon_thumleft
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Conifers wrote:
The Codfather wrote:Anthrium...
Typo :wink:

Anthurium icon_thumright
Doh.....it rushing on and off here whislt at work !
AKA - Martin

Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

The Codfather wrote:
Doh.....it rushing on and off here whislt at work !
"whislt"..................typo :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Thats a really beautiful anthurium! Lucky you!!!
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Their flowers are very 1980's looking with a red glossy petal. Not my taste - I prefer the foliage on it. It is also call Flamingo plant.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

A special plant for my wife and me. We had a chalet to ourselves in the grounds of Smugglers Cove in St. Lucia for our honeymoon and the management included amongst the welcome gifts the most fabulous potted specimen of this I've ever seen.

Bought one soon after we returned home and kept it sixteen years. Bought another which lasted eleven years before managing without one. Chuffed to be given three last July by a retiring teacher who kept them in her classroom at the local school that overwinters lots of my exotic plants. Two are back at the school for the winter and (the best one) sits on a sunny windowsill at home still 'spathing' itself to death.

Tip: They love warmed rainwater; failing that, cooled water from the kettle.
kata

Post by kata »

Be nice in a retro room of furniture,

Soz, been watching Flogit/Bargain Hunt.

Nice plant so it is.

:lol: :lol:
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Its a cultivar of Anthurium andreanum, not hardy at all for you guys but I did see photos of someones garden who used them as summer bedding under Dicksonias to great effect.

A bit hardier is Anthurium scherzerianum, I grew this outdoors under cover in Wagga Wagga in NSW through winter (frosts to -8c and daytime max around 12c), and it thrived in the cooler weather, producing flowers even in mid-winter. It has more strap shaped leaves than Andreanums heart shaped leaves, and the flowers have a corkscrew spadix so a stunning plant all round.

Not suggesting its hardy for your UK gardens, but a better option to try outdoors than andreanum icon_thumright
Attachments
Anthurium scherzerianum
Anthurium scherzerianum
Anthurium_scherzeranum.jpg (39.4 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
Flowers showing spiralled spadix
Flowers showing spiralled spadix
As.jpg (9.06 KiB) Viewed 1598 times
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Just a word of warning to anyone that has pet cats, this plant is poisonous to them (as are all Lilles)...