Expectations of winter tarnished by 2009/2010 - anyone?

Panama Pete

Re: Expectations of winter tarnished by 2009/2010 - anyone?

Post by Panama Pete »

The minus 18 didn't get me it was last years lack off spring that got me.
Last edited by Panama Pete on Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Lack of spring time did me last year as well pete, so many plants shut down in that extra period of winter and just gave up. Reason i got my grow lights in case it happens again. They have been on all winter though. :lol:
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

It snowed today in nottingham. Not long before i start the seeds once feb is out the way.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Panama Pete wrote:It snowed today in nottingham. Not long before i start the seeds once feb is out the way.
It snowed in Nottingham? seriously? It shouldn't have.. atmospheric conditions were not conducive to snow but maybe locally unusual situation.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Snowed over quite a large area of the Midlands. We even had a few flakes up here late morning.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

I never knew that, nor expected it.. if I'd have known I would have been all over it this morning :shock:

Some rain here in early hours (showery), and few drops this morning, but no snow.
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Yes, I think you are right that us olduns do remember l962/3 and l976 as the benchmark to judge the weather by.

Having experienced both and remember them very well, its hard not to compare them. I was living in South Brent in Devon in the 62/3 winter and we were snowed in up to the top of 6foot hedges outside our house. I have photos of my dad digging a way through so we could go to the village and get food!

Some nights in the summer of '76 were so hot we slept outside on sunbeds in the garden!!!!!
Never done that since as its never been hot enough!!!!

Wish it was, though!
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Dec 2010 was the coldest spell for hundreds of years here. Although I gather 47 and 63 went ln for longer.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.