Expectations of winter tarnished by 2009/2010 - anyone?

cordyman

Expectations of winter tarnished by 2009/2010 - anyone?

Post by cordyman »

I know there are many on here whom got the tropical bug right before we had the narnia ice winters of 2009/2010, I guess some quit after this, but for those that didn't has 2009/2010 set a precedent in your mind as to what you expect from the winters which follow?

Pre 2009 my garden was the usual traditional style, required no winter upkeep, and this meant apart from checking the weather for cycling, I had no real interest in winter temperatures and climate.

My interest in winter climate piqued, when it started killing my newly planted tropicals! I've since been tarnished by 2009/2010 and no matter how hard I try, sort of expect a lengthy, super low temp cold spell, with accompanying snow, which doenst melt, with more snow, with some double digit minus figures, and ice days for weeks on end, with more snow, just to put the literal icing on the cake :shock: :shock:

I shouldn't think this, as its 1 in 100 chance apparently, but I can't shake the mindset.

This January in my area its pretty much bob on LTA, but in my mind its supermild :lol: icon_sunny Hell I reckon i'd even class a -2 to -4 week of lows as "not that cold" thankful in a sense as I realise how much worse it could be :shock:

Anyone else tarnished by the winter of 2009/2010?
GoggleboxUK

Re: Expectations of winter tarnished by 2009/2010 - anyone?

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Couldn't agree more Cordy.

I gave up worrying about winter after last years low was a mere hour at -3. Now I just keep an eye on the 5 day for potential -5s which will be few and far between considering Preston's lowest temperature since records began was -6 prior to the killer ones.

In reality, I'd rather worry about other things such as work and the cost of living than fuss about each year with no real need.

And I'm in THE NORTH!!

:lol:
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

It is psychological and 2010 winter reset a lot of peoples expectations but I actually think the wet summer of 2012 made me change more things in the garden - I have worked a lot in Eastern Europe and Scandinavia so I am some what used to low temps. I have a good picture from Tallinn where the Bamboo has been wrapped (it was -28C) to resemble a Christmas tree.

I have added a lot of grit, humus and perlite into my borders, made sure pots drain and are sited well. Rain soaks away quickly in my garden now and no longer have any standing water after heavy rain. Summer can be a problem as it does soak away too well in places! I still need to work some of the heaviest parts of soil but I will get there. I do think making our gardens better drained will help hardiness.
billdango

Post by billdango »

The winter of 2010 wasn,t to bad in Southampton as most of the exotics survived pretty well.

I lost no plants but a number of unprotected CIDPs in the City suburbs were lost or cut back [some of these are now regrowing].

Only a few cordylines [again in the suburbs were damaged] and as far as I can see most of these are regrowing again.

No exotics {CIDPs included]were lost within a 2 mile radius of the City center.

The last time any exotics were lost or damaged were in the winters of 1979 and 1995.

For the last REAL winter in Southampton we have to go back to 1962-1963 when some night temperatures in Southampton fell to -10c.

The lowest ever night temperature recorded in Southampton was on March 3rd 1938 when it went down to -11.9c.

The lowest recorded in 2010 was in December for 2 nights at -6.9c.

Of coarse it got a lot colder then that in the rural areas around the City.

People of my age use the winter of 62-63 as a yardstick for all winters up to the present day and the winters since that time don,t cut the mustard.

We also use the summer of 1976 as a yardstick as well and no summer since that date [2003-2006]excepted have ever come close to that year.

rgds billdango :D
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

billdango wrote: People of my age use the winter of 62-63 as a yardstick for all winters up to the present day and the winters since that time don,t cut the mustard.

rgds billdango :D
Some of my earliest memories are of huge icicles, smashing ice covered spider webs and slipping over all the time in the winter of January 1987. I was very young yet remember the cold as we had candles at the windows (no double glazing then) to melt the ice on the inside. Am guessing 62-63 was far worse temperature wise?
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

One thing thats struck me is that Winters of 2009 to 2010 were very rare, and apart from this it's very difficult to achieve a very low temperature unless there is snow involved or the cold spell is prolonged.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

As an exotic nursery I can tell you that winter 2009/10 was a shockwave.
After that peoples buying habits have changed completely , now most people plan for that kind of cold and plant accordingly, rather than living under the belief that a globally warmed winter means endless mild winters.

I think people have come to the conclusion that global warming means more extremes rather than more warmth in this part of the globe.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Completely agree. The last few winters rocked my gardening world. But I dont wrap everything all winter however I am now as prepared as I can be for a repeat of 2010. With last summer being so good and this winter so average/mild in terms of temps us exotic lovers can really chill.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

IMHO, I think that some people still worry as it was a big weather event that took place so it will still be very fresh in peoples minds. I bet the 1964 I think it was? event was still fresh in peoples minds for many years after? I am too young to know about that one. 2009/10 certainly has not tarnished how I think/feel how the following winters may be. I just take each week as it comes checking the 3 day forecast and that is that. If another event like 2009/10 is going to happen i will just have to make sure I have protected things as well as I possibly can and just hope for the best whilst worrying like crazy.

:lol:
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Yes I think it has but it's understandable. Don't forget 10/11 and 11/12 were pretty rubbish as well. Hopefully now it will be better. The disappointing thing is no one on the planet, not the top climatologist or super computer can say for certain how future winters will behave.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Exactly Kris, just take it week by week and be ready if it does happen again. And don't read the dailymail! or else you will be told your having an extreme winter every year. :roll:
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

sanatic1234 wrote:Exactly Kris, just take it week by week and be ready if it does happen again. And don't read the dailymail! or else you will be told your having an extreme winter every year. :roll:
Daily express you mean icon_tomato
flounder

Post by flounder »

I seem to remember losing more plants during the 80's than any other time. I also think I saw more snow during that time as well icon_scratch
As I've become wiser(no, won't say older) winter protection schemes run accordingly, or I'm growing a more reliable type of plant
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I shall never forget winter 2010, its not putting me off growing tender plants but I'm always on top of protection.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Nigel wrote:
sanatic1234 wrote:Exactly Kris, just take it week by week and be ready if it does happen again. And don't read the dailymail! or else you will be told your having an extreme winter every year. :roll:
Daily express you mean icon_tomato
BOTH! :)
Last edited by sanatic1234 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.