Climbers

Cardiffcol

Climbers

Post by Cardiffcol »

Anyone know of a good reliable evergreen climber with Red flowers?? For full sun. Thanks
stephenprudence

Re: Climbers

Post by stephenprudence »

Lonicera sempervirens - the red flowered evergreen honeysuckle.
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

Good shout Stephen,
lonicera sempervirens 2 by charliepridham, on Flickr
the cultivar 'Cedar Lane' is especially good.
Lonicera Cedar Lane by charliepridham, on Flickr

In Cardiff I would imagine Eccremocarpus scaber in its red form would be OK although it can look a bit untidy over winter.
eccremocarpus2 by charliepridham, on Flickr

Whether it would be OK in a hot position I am not sure but Berberidopsis is a nice leathery leaved evergreen
017 by charliepridham, on Flickr
018 by charliepridham, on Flickr

Some of the honeysuckles may fit, this is L. giraldii
lonicera giraldii007 by charliepridham, on Flickr
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

Apart from honeysuckle, the nearest I can think of is abutilon megapotamicum,evergreen in mild winters.It's not really a climber,more of a shrub but it could be trained in a similar way to a climber.Some of the passion flowers are evergreen,down here but i'm not sure about any of the red ones.
Cardiffcol

Post by Cardiffcol »

Thanks guys. I'm liking the look of Eccremocarpus scaber, but it might die back, defiantly worth a go though. Lonicera sempervirens is the one I'm very interested in but it's looking vary hard to get hold of. Thanks again :)
derrick

Post by derrick »

You can buy the seeds easy enough for E scaber at jungle seeds or Haskings .It can look scruffy winter time and full of seed pods .If mild can keep flowering but suffer wind damage . With the seed pods you loose a lot of the flowers . The photo is last years seedling .I had one grow up a oak tree to about 15 feet before .
Attachments
DSCF3863.JPG
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

Cardiffcol wrote:Thanks guys. I'm liking the look of Eccremocarpus scaber, but it might die back, defiantly worth a go though. Lonicera sempervirens is the one I'm very interested in but it's looking vary hard to get hold of. Thanks again :)
You shouldn't have any problems sourcing sempervirens, just google, top hit is normally the RHS plant finder but there are a couple of nurseries on the first page UK based.
PaulPlants

Post by PaulPlants »

I grow a Trachyspermum jasminoides with a rich deep red Clematis and a Campsis grandiflora. The Trachyspermum has lovely tiny scented white flowers, but most importantly for me, fantastic glossy evergreen leaves. The Clematis provides wonderful single red flowers that scream and shout for attention in late spring/early summer (and sometimes I get a second flush later on). Then there's the Campsis which offers its large salmon coloured flowers at the very end of the summer and into Autumn.

Of course, leave the Campsis out if your colour scene is super strict (or space is limited, it gets big).
Dim

Post by Dim »

Clematis freckles, as the 'backbone' evergreen, planted together with any combination of the following to give colour at different times of the year:

http://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/clematis-red/