Google image on hardy tropicals.

Half Hardy

Google image on hardy tropicals.

Post by Half Hardy »

Just a thought.If I want to post a picture of a plant, I don't already grow.I usually use the pictures on wikipedia,because they state,that there are no copyright issues to worry about.Unfortunately they don't always have a particularly good example to show.Could I just link to a google image page? The way I see it,they can't own the copyright to all the images and people often link to pictures of google street view. What do you think?
Last edited by Half Hardy on Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kristen

Re: Google image.

Post by Kristen »

Dunno the rights & wrongs, but if I refer to a plant and I can choose a picture from a site that sells them (or would enjoy traffic from people interested in the plant) I post a link together with the picture - thus the site gets the citation, and possible visitors/customers
kata

Re: Google image on hardy tropicals.

Post by kata »

Wiki does'nt own all Images but the Image creators do,

You have to look for 'released into the public domain' then its ok.

I pay Wiki when I use Images but still they must be in the public domain to do so.
Dear Kate,

Thank you for donating to the Wikimedia Foundation. You are wonderful!

It's easy to ignore our fundraising banners, and I'm really glad you didn't. This is how Wikipedia pays its bills --- people like you giving us money, so we can keep the site freely available for everyone around the world. Your donation makes the world a better place. Thank you.
icon_cheers
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

kata wrote:Wiki does'nt own all Images but the Image creators do,

You have to look for 'released into the public domain' then its ok.
Actually, you can use any pic from wiki, you just have to acknowledge the photographer and license; it isn't that difficult icon_thumright the Creative Commons license lets you re-use pics provided you cite as below.

Photo by Frank Vincentz at Wiki Commons, CC-BY-SA license
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

You cannot say X is my plant and it is not but if you say X is from Y then that is totally fine. So yes you can use any image but you need to say where it came from.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Blairs wrote:So yes you can use any image but you need to say where it came from.
You most definitely cannot use "any" image. Commonly people do, but unless the copyright on an image says that you can, freely, then you cannot, and if the copyright explicitly says that you can't then expect them to come after you if you do!

Sorry if I have misunderstood what you meant?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Wouldn't it be great if you put a image on google and it could tell you what the image is of. E.g photo a plant on holiday and then google to say what it is.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Wouldn't it be great if you put a image on google and it could tell you what the image is of. E.g photo a plant on holiday and then google to say what it is.
There is a site that does that for you Kris, it's called HTUK :wink:
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

I read an article about this once and it stated that if an image is on Google and is not visibly copyrighted (by watermark), then it is in public domain, and therefore free to use by anyone. By having your image in google, you are essentially sacrificing your sole rights to it, because you posted it in a public domain. However if you watermark your image with (c), then the image is still copyrighted to you, despite being on Google but anyone can still use it as reference.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

An image appearing on Google carries no statement of copyright, one way or the other (If it did then it would be illegal for Google to show any image with a copyright watermark in the first place :) ). Even if the image has a "(C)Copyright" notice visibly on it that does not make it illegal for you to link to it under copyright law - although I suspect it puts many people off!

Copyright protection is implicit. Create a new "work" and you have the copyright - you don't need to formally register it. You are entitled to put "(C)" on it, but you don't have to. You can stop Google linking to it by putting a directive on your website saying "Google may not download my images" (e.g. using ROBOTS.TXT) but failing to do so is not seen as you being negligent in looking after your intellectual property.

Part of the crux of copyright law, with regard to linked images, is that you haven't taken the image - you have only provided a link to it - hence there is no "theft". The "theft" that might exist is that of bandwidth, or electricity (because when you see a linked image on this site it is coming to your browser from the original site, so it is their bandwidth, and not Dave's, which is being used)

Whenever reasonable I provide a link to the site, alongside the linked image, even if only as common courtesy. I can't see any company complaining that their images are appearing on this website, particularly if you mention / link to them - you are providing them with "trade".

There are areas where they may be a problem - e.g. "framing" an image on this site in an article that makes it appear that black-is-white, or slagging something off (and including a linked picture), but in normal usage here that doesn't apply and for the rest Dave steps in and says "Not on my board, thank you very much!"
kata

Post by kata »

Conifers,

Unless it was in the public domain I would'nt touch the Image.

Saying that every Image we look at ends up in our cache.I wanted to dl an Image off a newspaper site, wnen I looked in my USB portable drive the whole blutty papers Images turned up.

Took me an age to delete them all, some very tiny, some medium, and some large...sigh..

icon_cheers
Neil Ziemski

Post by Neil Ziemski »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Wouldn't it be great if you put a image on google and it could tell you what the image is of. E.g photo a plant on holiday and then google to say what it is.
I thought about that, design a mobile phone app that does it, there is still a living to be made designing apps if you think of a good idea, which that is, a lot of apps are free but good ones at 69 p will provide you with plenty of garden money!
Neil
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

kata wrote:Saying that every Image we look at ends up in our cache.I wanted to dl an Image off a newspaper site, wnen I looked in my USB portable drive the whole blutty papers Images turned up.
Dunno if it makes you feel better Kata, but those images will be deleted after a time. If you keep on accessing that page they will stay in your cache (which saves time not having to get them from that site again), but when you stop accessing that site / page then after a while your browser will assume you are not going to visit that site again and chuck them away.
kata

Post by kata »

I only wanted a lone tree and a man in green, and a statue...unbelievable Kristen.

Maybe I hit a wrong key and asked for web page complete. :ahhh!:
britain-in-pic-1(6).jpg
The China man
britain-in-pic-1(9).jpg
The Statue.
britain-in-pic-1(7).jpg
The lonely tree.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Kristen wrote:
Blairs wrote:So yes you can use any image but you need to say where it came from.
You most definitely cannot use "any" image. Commonly people do, but unless the copyright on an image says that you can, freely, then you cannot, and if the copyright explicitly says that you can't then expect them to come after you if you do!

Sorry if I have misunderstood what you meant?
The American term 'Fair use' is applicable in the UK.

s29.—(1)"does not infringe any copyright in the work, provided it is accompanied by a sufficient acknowledgement of the source."

s30.—(1) "Fair dealing with a work for the purpose of criticism or review, of that or another work, or of a performance of a work, does not infringe copyright in the work, provided it is accompanied by a sufficient acknowledgement, and provided the work has actually been made available to the public. "

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/48