Google image on hardy tropicals.

Kristen

Re: Google image on hardy tropicals.

Post by Kristen »

Sorry, my interpretation of you saying "use" is at fault here.

I took "use" to mean "download and re-upload to my website" or something along those lines which implied incorporating it into your own work / article. (even then that would be fine if you were writing a review of a product, and the company had a photo of the product on their website (the photo is not, after all, the product) ... as you said "fair use" ... but if it was a nice photo of some countryside and you wanted to use it to add atmosphere an article then that would be more dubious (and that's what I thought you meant by "use").

Sorry about that.
Conifers

Re: Google image on hardy tropicals.

Post by Conifers »

Blairs wrote:The American term 'Fair use' is applicable in the UK.

s29.—(1)"does not infringe any copyright in the work, provided it is accompanied by a sufficient acknowledgement of the source."

s30.—(1) "Fair dealing with a work for the purpose of criticism or review, of that or another work, or of a performance of a work, does not infringe copyright in the work, provided it is accompanied by a sufficient acknowledgement, and provided the work has actually been made available to the public. "

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/48
Fair use isn't applicable in Britain; we have something called Fair dealing, which is much more restrictive than fair use.